Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

C3 vette opinions *sorry for the length*

Drewet88
01-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I have just come across the deal of a lifetime (for me anyways). I've always wanted a C3 vette *I LOVE THOSE YEARS* and a Mitsubishi VR4. I now have the chance to buy both. Both ate only $5,000 which I consider a deal on either one and both are in B- state but neither needs a lot of work from what I can tell. The VR4 either has a clutch issue or a transmission issue the owned wont let me take it to a transmission shop that does free estimates to see what the problem is.

The problem with the vette is registration. It hasn't been registered in years and according to dmv if I wait a few more months it will be wiped out of the books so instead of paying hundreds i can wait and pay about $60. Thats good but it would also mean I cant drive it until about june/july.

The vette will be much easier to negotiate prices on because it is at a local tow yard that I go to *i flip cars for extra money* and they have had it in storage ever since I started flipping cars *about a year ago* I have all the background on the car and the ppl have let me drive around the lot many times before I even realized it was for sale.

They originally wanted $8k but said for you $5k which lets me know I can talk them down more if I wished. The interior needs to be redone and if I want to eventually take it to shows I'll need to paint it. Other than that shes great.

I have no idea what to do :banghead::banghead::banghead: I want them both but cant afford them both :frown:. If the VR4 is a clutch issue I'll be torn between the two but if its a transmission that kinda puts it out the picture because I dont have money to be replacing trannys right now. And with the vette I still cant drive it until june/july so regardless one of these cars will have to sit.

O mann....sooo torn. sorry about the long post its 6am in cali and I cant sleep thinking about these cars. Made a complete mod list if I get the vr4 and I made a complete restore list/possible mod list if I get the vette.

Just posting asking for thoughts I'm going to just stay up 2 more hours and pull an all nighter. Any thoughts appreciated.

*EDIT* Whichever car I pick I plan on making a cardomain and posting my progress and hopefully picking everyones brains for ideas.

MrPbody
01-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Parts for the Mitsi are going to be scarce and expensive. Parts for the Corvette are just going to be expensive, not scarce. Engine and trans parts for the Corvette are cheap (same as most other Chevys of the era). Most any repair shop or machine shop is familiar with the Chevy V8, too. Most are NOT familiar with the 3.0 twin-cam (good engine, BTW). Throw the turbo into the mix, and you'll need a REAL technician to repair it!

It also depends on your goals. If you want a nice driver, with few modifications, the Mitsi is a good one. If you want a hotrod that you can DRIVE, the Corvette is superior. If the 'vette is a manual transmission, it's a no-brainer! (IMO)

Jim

16th hippy
01-08-2008, 08:56 PM
for starters, i need to work on my jealousy issues with you over the find on the vette. all that aside, you are in a chevy forum, the vette sub fourm no less, and most will tell you take the vette. I would, but i can be objective about it too. what do you want? do you already have a daily driver? if so, the vette makes the most sense. WHEN are you going to find another old vette in this decent condition for only 5k? maybe tomorrow, maybe NEVER! Vr-4's are nice, but i would prefer the vette. so you can't drive it till june or whatever. either have it towed to home, or get one of those 2 day permits to transport it, or whatever. get it home, come up with a plan that you can afford with the time alotted, fix it up according to plan, and by the time you can "legally" drive it, you will be road ready. some specs on the vette and vr4 would be nice to go over, mileage, and so on. just for record, is it a galant vr4, ot the 3000gt vr4?

Drewet88
01-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I have a daily driver already and the vette is automatic but the vr4 is manual.

O and its the 3000gt vr4 i know the miles on the vr4 are about 123k and I'm not sure about the vette off the top of my head but I want to say they are close in mileage.

16th hippy
01-10-2008, 06:31 AM
ok, so 123K on the ricer(sorry), ad about the same or more on the vette...vette has auto trans....still the vette for me.

Drewet88
01-10-2008, 08:01 AM
ok, so 123K on the ricer(sorry), ad about the same or more on the vette...vette has auto trans....still the vette for me.

lol if i riced it out I would fit in around here :) but I woudln't do that because thats not my style. The vr4 goes to the shop tomorrow to see if they can figure out any of the problems which will help me decide. I know everything wrong with the vette already and its all interior cosmetics over all the engine and tranny seem sound.

But since I consider the vette a project car I might have to rebuild the engine just to feed my thirst for wrenching on something. And I want to beef up the internals a little because I think after about 30 years of work they could use some reenforcement.

16th hippy
01-11-2008, 01:30 AM
my late uncle had a 71 stingray with the LS6(454), 4spd manual, and 4:11 posi trac. with exception of oil pump, ALL engine internals are FACTORY stock. they were built to last back then...so longevity isn't the greatest concern, but i understand the need to wrench a bit too. new rings and a real good look over wouldn't hurt it if needed, but is your decision!

Drewet88
01-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Yea thinking about it maybe I'll just do the usual you would do with a new (used) car. Full Tune-Up, All fluids, All gaskets, let me know if there is anything I'm forgetting. If I get it I'm going to drop the engine and tranny out so when I take it to paint they can hook the engine bay up also and not have to paint around anything. While its out of the car I'm going to polish and clean everything possible.

Drewet88
01-13-2008, 05:44 AM
after looking at everycar within a 2hr radius the vette has won. They are closed until monday so hopefully monday some pics will go up. And I just found out I made out rather well in a car accident my friend had "i was the passenger" and he sued the people who hit him. So I have a $3000 settelment check coming within the week. Restoring the interior will come sooner than expected :).

EDIT: I think I'm gonna get the vette AND a vr4 if the chance ever comes around again.

Add your comment to this topic!