Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

optispark

co5j
01-08-2008, 06:58 AM
hey guys, in the process of replacing the opti-spark II and water pump on my 95 formula LTI. question - will the distributor only go on one way? it was almost dark when i finally got the old one off, i have an Accel unit to put on and i didnt pay attention to which slot the pin from the camshaft was in on the old distributor. of the 3 slots, 2 are indented while one is rectangular, i'm assuming that is the one the pin needs to be aligned into? any help or things to watch out for is greatly appreciated.

Blue Bowtie
01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
The distributor is only mounted one way. If you study the driven end of the Opti, you will notice that only one of the three indentations has a tang on it. The camshaft pin engages that hole.

co5j
01-14-2008, 01:58 PM
thanks blue. i got it all back together, and of the 3 slots on the back of the opti, the rectangular one IS the only one the pin will go into, i guess thats why they indented the other 2. everything ran great when i buttoned it back up, took it down the road to check for misses and/or water leaks, drove it about 10 minutes, pretty hard, everything seemed fine. later that night, drove it about 15 minutes, dropped my fiancee off at a modeling shoot, got back out on the highway and, under LOAD, she started missing bad! WTF? drove it on to a parking lot, went into the store, came back out 30 minutes later, drove it again, pretty hard, and it seemed fine. this is not a daily driver, so havent had a chance to run her again, but i'm hoping everything's ok. opinions? it's got the new opti, obviously, also new plugs and wires a couple months ago. has 95K miles on it. should i have changed the coil as well? only reason i changed the opti was cause i was doing the water pump but glad i did, when i pulled the wire boots off one of the sleeves was so brittle it fell apart. again, opinions greatly appreciated on the missing or anything else.

poormillionaire2
01-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Quick question, I'm about to change my water pump because its starting to leak from the rear. How hard is it to change the water pump? It doesn't look too difficult, but someone said you have to remove a lot of other stuff to pull the water pump out.

co5j
01-15-2008, 11:07 AM
yeah, it looked easy to me too. i'm assuming you have an f-body? i have a bad habit of trying NOT to remove things if i dont think i need to. so i read up on it, all the info on pull the air pump, passenger side fan, etc. and thought, no way, i can do it without doing all that! advice? pull it all out of the way, dont even think about it, you'll be glad you did. once you do that, its really not that bad.

FormulaLT1
01-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the PM co5j. You have got some pretty good info from these guys already and I sent you a PM with some more tips.

John

j cAT
02-11-2008, 02:22 PM
opinions? it's got the new opti, obviously, also new plugs and wires a couple months ago. has 95K miles on it. should i have changed the coil as well? only reason i changed the opti was cause i was doing the water pump but glad i did, when i pulled the wire boots off one of the sleeves was so brittle it fell apart. again, opinions greatly appreciated on the missing or anything else.[/quote]

the opti you used accel is know for failures. the engine was running fine and after you installed this opti it now misses. many have had this happen. so how did this work out for you? also because of your water pump r/r it is possible the coil connector and wires are in need of inspection for corrosion.....

Add your comment to this topic!