Seafoam through vacuum line?

rock0134
01-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I was reading a tech article on tuners that said to disconnect a vacuum line and put in in the can of seafoam while at operating temp and rev it and suck the can dry...

Couple questions, what hose do you do this from? And how much of the can of seafoam is alright to suck up?

Anyone ever done this?

SilvrEclipse
01-07-2008, 05:30 PM
I did it. Most people use the BOV line. Just make sure its a small vac line. Dont want to suck up to much liquid in there. I would do the whole can, it wont hurt anything. When I got done I took the car out and run it hard to clear out the carbon. Then change your plugs.

I held my car at 3k while it was sucking the seafoam in

gthompson97
01-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Be absolute sure that you keep the rpms up though, you don't want to hydrolock the motor. And do it in a WELL VENTILATED AREA, it will smoke like a bandint while running that shit through.

rock0134
01-07-2008, 05:51 PM
So you just unplug the vac line from the intake manifold to the bov and stick the bov side in the can and suck it up... How long does it take to suck it up?

tfoti
01-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Any port that sees vacuum at idle. The "P" port seems to be most popular cause it probably distributes it most evenly among the cylinders. Have someone else hold throttle at 2k RPM's since it will want to die when adding it. Change your oil and plugs when done.

SilvrEclipse
01-07-2008, 11:22 PM
It should only take a few minutes to suck up all the liquid.

david-b
01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
How about for N/T? What vaccuum should be used there? I need to give the motor a full cleaning in the spring.

SilvrEclipse
01-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Either use the one on top of the throttle body or one of the small ones from the back of the manifold.

gthompson97
01-08-2008, 12:14 AM
If you want to do a complete motor clean in the spring, put a can in a full tank of gas and then when you're at about half a tank, put a can in the oil (yes, inside the motor), athen when you're almost on E, fill 'er up again to full, and then run a can through a vacuum line. Then after everything, change the oil, filter, fuel filter, and plugs.

Black99GST
01-08-2008, 05:06 PM
seafoam is GREAT! works awesome! it will smoke like an 88' Eldorado on blown rings, but HEY! it'll clean everything out! i did this on my car aswell, infact, if you are unsure, go up to jiffylube, and pay them about 60 bucks, they will do it for you... ;) i trust you will make the right decision

rock0134
04-06-2008, 09:50 PM
I sucked a can of it up through the vacuum line bov today and holy shit, it smoked up my whole neighborhood! It only took like 15 seconds probably to empty the can but judging by the amount of carbon smoke that came out, it had to have cleaned up a lot of shit. After that I changed plugs and oil after taking it for a drive.

SilvrEclipse
04-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Sweet. You should pull the intercooler pipe off your TB so you can look into the manifold to see how clean it got. I was able to see the streaks of where the liquid ran and where it didn't.

rock0134
04-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Haha, judging by the amount of shit that came out I think it worked good. I did a full can first then drove it for about an hour then did another half a can.

JoeShmoe
04-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Can we get a write up for the tech article setion? Maybe some pics too?

Add your comment to this topic!