’95 Taurus won’t start

Tomb stone
01-06-2008, 04:15 PM
The car is a ’95 SE, 3.8L V-6, Auto Trans.
There is what is happening. When the ignition is turned to the ‘run’ position, the radiator and/or the fuel pump will come on and NOT switch off. Turning the ignition to the ‘start’ position, the starter will turn the engine strong – but it will not start. The radiator fan/fuel pump will continue to constantly run until the ignition switch id turned to the off position. I did a google search and found several posts on other forms by individuals with the exact same problem, but with no follow-up post or fixes. On one post, they recommended looking at a relay that is attached to the radiator and controls the fan and (supposedly) the fuel pump. This seems to be an electrical issue with the computer or a relay because the same thing happened a few weeks ago. I tried to start it for about 5 minuets and gave up and went inside (it was cold outside) but, when I went out later to try and troubleshoot it, it started and has been driven nearly every day until now.
I have not done any trouble shooting but will assume the engine is not getting spark because there is an open circuit somewhere.
Hopefully this is a ‘common’ problem and someone knows what is wrong.
Any ideas??

kahjdh
01-06-2008, 08:53 PM
You need to post in the taurus section not the tempo section.

rhandwor
01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Put your finger on the relay then have somebody try to start it. You can feel the relay click. Some times you can tap with the plastic part of a screwdriver handle. If it starts buy a new relay.

swiftknight23
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
you might also want to try and clean the sparkplug. make sure it has the proper gap setting. if the sparkplugs defective, replace it. you might want to also make sure the carb has the right fuel-air mixture. too much gas the engine runs rich. not enough gas the engine wont start, boggs down easy, runs rough, ect. hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!