Help!! 1997 Silverado won't start.

97silvershortbed
01-05-2008, 08:01 PM
I have a 1997 Siverado with a 5.7L,auto trans. The truck has 162,000 miles on it . This it the first problem to come up since buying truck a year ago. All I know about this truck is that old owner took very good care of truck and did all the maintance every 3,000 miles . He told me that he just replaced fuel pump and battery 1 year ago.

Well I noticed that the starter was draging so I bought a new OEM, NOT the cheap ones priced at 59.99 . WOW! what a difference,worked like new.

Well 5 days go by and everything seems fine intil driving on freeway about 65 mph my truck seems to have a slight misfire and it did throw a code .
I had the code checked and code was a misfire code. All I did was change spark plugs and clear code. Everything seems fine for about 2 days and the truck starts to feel like it misfired a few times but did not throw a code.

I park my truck over night in my driveway over night,and in the morning I go to start the truck and it just cranks, does not turn over. So I crank over and over again. After a min of cranking ,sounds like starter got jammed ,MADE A clunk noise. I did hear some small back fires in mufflers . So I let it sit for a while and got some starting fluid and sprayed into TB and put everything back together and try again,it just cranks and has small back fires in the mufflers not loud at all.

Now it seems that I may have hurt my new starter . The starter engages and just cranks the engine for 2 seconds and then sounds like the starter motor is not engaged and just spins. I take the starter off to have it tested at local auto parts store . They say starter is in good condion. Pass thier test.
So I put starter back on and it does same thing. Now it looks like I have 2 problems now .Do you guys think battery has gotten to low on amps or volts??????
Just to let all you guys know that I can hear the fuel pump come when I turn the key to the on position,and then it turns off 2 or 3 seconds later.

Have any of you had this problems?? What do you guys think I sould do NEXT ? I have read some old theads but seems nothing like this was posted . I read things like crankshaft/camshaft position sensor problems. So what do you guys think?

2percent
01-05-2008, 08:52 PM
My blazer did something like that I actually got it started by holding the brake in while cranking and it fired up. No clue why but now it runs rich and i think its my mao sensor but good luck

97silvershortbed
01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the tip,I'll give it a try. What does mao stand for?

J-Ri
01-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm guessing "MAO" stands for MAP, which stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure.

Did you clean all the battery cable connection when you replaced the starter? Too much resistance (from corrosion) can cause a starter to crank slow... probably wouldn't make the solenoid disengage after 2 seconds of cranking, but it's a thought. If it keeps doing that and it has enough voltage while cranking, the starter is probably bad, even if the test says it's good.

97silvershortbed
01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I did make sure that the battery cables were clean on both ends when I changed the starter the first time.

I think you are wright when you say that the new starter that I just put on a week ago is bad, I think I had something to do with that while trying to get the motor to start . I must have cranked on the starter for over 10 min off and on.

well that didn't take me long to kill a new starter, thank goodness for the lifetime warranty.

It looks like that I still have 2 problems .

i did checked the plugs and they were wet ,I think because of the starting fluld I sraryed in TB

I dryed the plugs and put them back in and still not running .

While cranking I hear some small back fires in the mufflers,but not loud at all.

97silvershortbed
01-06-2008, 06:13 PM
If the truck did not start when I put starting fluld in TB does that mean it has nothing to do with fuel pump?

I have read alot about fuel pump problems with these trucks.

while cranking the starter, does the injectors keep spraying gas while I keep cranking the motor?

young_11_blood
01-06-2008, 06:14 PM
.... Same problem as me... i have the pressure at the engine and it turns over but no fuel in the cylinders. I replaced the starter and battery and a crap load of sensors....nothing is working for me

16th hippy
01-08-2008, 05:16 AM
@97 silver: plugs were wet when you took them out, sounds as if you have no spark. did you check spark? seen alot of times where the cap get old and corroded ovet time, and then just quits working. truck will sputter/mini-backfire at times as if it is trying to run, but nogo. is cap and rotor new, or been checked? plugs and wires were replaced how long ago?

@young 11: You have fuel up to engine, but injectors aren't spraying? what about spark to plugs?

young_11_blood
01-08-2008, 12:04 PM
i have good spark. we replaced spark plugs and destributor....

16th hippy
01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
ok, and the fuel issue? i am a bit confused on that. you have pessure to the service port right? how about volume/amount of fuel?

young_11_blood
01-09-2008, 12:41 AM
There is good volume cause when i touch it with my finger it shoots up and hits the hood and my hand is covered... so i would say there is alot of volume

ascads
01-09-2008, 01:27 AM
chek crank sensor

young_11_blood
01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
ya we have rplaced it.

16th hippy
01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
ok, are the injectors pulsing, have power to them? does it run a little with some carb cleaner or starting fluid sprayed in?

young_11_blood
01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
im i think they are but how would i check... and if they werent getting power how would i fix that

16th hippy
01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
you have the 5.7 with TBI....the 2 injectors sitting on top of throttle body? or you have te port fuel injection with the spider under the plenum? In either case, the injectors have power all the time(key on and/or running), and are grounded in the PCM. I don't think that all the grounds in the PCM would go bad at once, but it can happen. start with checking for power. you will need to find a wiring diagram for this most likely if it is the port injection system.

young_11_blood
01-11-2008, 07:31 PM
i have the diagram infront of me... all the wires go directly to the Vehicle Control Module.... So the only way all the injecters wouldnt work is if the VCM is shorted out??? but then i would be blowing fuses

97silvershortbed
01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I just want to thank all you guys that helped me . I just replaced starter again with another new one and, replaced camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor,truck fired up . Truck runs ruff, has a small misfire at idle, someone says to check fuel pressure. That will be my next step .

I will relply when I find out why my truck is running with a small misfire.

97silvershortbed
01-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Ok guys I checked fuel pressure, 55 psi and looks good.

I had the truck running at idle and heard some new ticking sound under the truck . So I jack up truck and listend while idleing.

Wondering about the crankshaft sensor getting hit by the crankshaft pointer so I took it out to check it . THATS WHAT IS WAS. crankshaft sensor I bought a Autozone was getting hit by the crankshaft pointer on behind timing chain cover. Took that one back to Autozone and got money back and got a OEM replacement and the truck runs like a CHAMP!

Thank you guys for your help. I hope this helps others.

Well I Know now that OEM parts are worth the money

97blkextcab
01-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Hello! I am having a similar issue. My 97 silverado has a 305 v8. It wont start. It sputters if you give it starting fluid but wont run. We just put new plugs in but she isnt starting. We checked and it does have spark. There are no codes present. I read that it could be the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pump, or a clogged filter. I checked the nippile on the fuel line before it goes in to the fuel pressure regulator and i have plenty of fuel pressure so i guess that rules out the pump (which you can hear run) and tbe filter. The truck had been seitting a year and we drained all the old crappy gas and pit fresh gas in but that didnt help either. The other thing i noticed is that some plugs were wet while other plugs were dry. Could the fuel pressure regulator cause that? I didnt see fuel rails on the exterior of the motor so im not sure how to check if the injectors are working. Please help!!!

97silvershortbed
01-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Hello! I am having a similar issue. My 97 silverado has a 305 v8. It wont start. It sputters if you give it starting fluid but wont run. We just put new plugs in but she isn't starting. We checked and it does have spark. There are no codes present. I read that it could be the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel pump, or a clogged filter. I checked the nippile on the fuel line before it goes in to the fuel pressure regulator and i have plenty of fuel pressure so i guess that rules out the pump (which you can hear run) and tbe filter. The truck had been sitting a year and we drained all the old crappy gas and pit fresh gas in but that didn't help either. The other thing i noticed is that some plugs were wet while other plugs were dry. Could the fuel pressure regulator cause that? I didn't see fuel rails on the exterior of the motor so im not sure how to check if the injectors are working. Please help!!!

Well it has been a while since I've been log in here.

I am not a pro when it some to these newer trucks but I will tell what I found out about these trucks.

I heard that the pressure reg is under the plastic intake manifold,same with the injectors. Also you do need 55 psi for the fuel system to work properly.
Auto zone sells cheap fuel pressure gauges. It's nice to know the psi when having starting problems.

Also the two screws that holds the distributor cap down comes loose sometimes because of plastic parts of distributor housing gets brittle.

Also check the Camshaft sensor inside distributor mine was bad .
Also I had a bad Crankshaft sensor go bad. That sensor is at the bottom of timing chain cover.

I hate guessing games , to bad the truck didn't have a engine light come on.
I like being able to use the scanner to check codes.

Maybe if you where able to keep truck running with Starting fluid for a couple minutes, it might throw a code. Be careful with Starting fluid, any misfire can cause a fire.

Also check the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF)
I had a friend that had a MAF go bad, but his check engine light came on when it went bad. His truck ran like crap when MAF went Bad.

If you don't anyone else replying to this post. i would start a new post
so the Pro's here will help you out.

Add your comment to this topic!