Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

6.0 diesel Cranks, but does not start

Capt Steve
01-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Can someone tell me what is causing my 2006 Power Stroke Diesel to run fine, and then when I shut it off, about 30 minutes later it cranks, but will not run?
Ford has used the computer to read codes, and there are no codes. They even changed the connection under the valve cover, for the high pressure oil lines, thinking the O rings may have been leaking.

This has left me stranded, and I am loosing faith in my truck and Ford!
Fix Or Repair Daily, is that really the turth?

:mad:

pholmann09
01-06-2008, 09:34 AM
have you checked your crank sensor? Theres more to hooking up a computer and looking at codes, theres not always codes and even when there is they might lead you in the wrong direction. you have to look at what all is going on with the sensors and what is communicating with the ecm or not.

Capt Steve
01-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Yes, I have check that sensor. Truck run fine, until you park it for about 30 minutes. Then when you go to restart the truck it cranks. You have to wait about 45 minutes, for the engine to cool or something, and then it cranks right up.
Today I was stranded twice. This afternoon, I changed the fuel filters, to make sure that was not the problem.

Capt Steve
01-07-2008, 09:39 PM
You all will love this! Once again, drove truck this morning and made a stop at the store. Got back in, and truck cranked, but would not run.
After 45 minutes, was able to get the truck to run again. Took it to the dealership for more repairs, and they actually asked me if I had an appointment. Thye have a back log of 25 plus F250's Diesel 6.0's with issues that need to be resolved, and proceeded to tell me that it maybe the end of the week before they can even begin to look at the truck!
Now I understand why all my buddy's that once were diehard Ford truck people are now buying the new 2500 HD Diesels from Chevy.

P.s. I am a fishing guide, which require this truck to pull my boat! Now how do you pull a boat with a 4 door economy rental car?
:runaround:

wwwildman
01-14-2008, 08:58 PM
The problem is not with the truck, but with the motor. It was built by International to FOrds specs, but Ford specced the heads with too thin walls. There have been alot of problems with this engine. That is why Ford built a new 6.4 L diesel for 2007.

wafrederick
01-21-2008, 11:11 PM
There is a conversion kit out there and costs $16,000.00.It is a 6.0/7.3 powerstroke to Cummins conversion kit.Where I heard this was from the local Snap On dealer in my area which he got from a shop he stops by for one his his routes.The Dodge with the Cummins has the best MPG,the Duramax is second and the powerstroke is 3rd

pholmann09
01-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I am going to have to call BS on the cummins getting the best fuel mileage of them. The 6.0 do not get good mpg but the 7.3 did just fine. my 7.3 is getting 21/27 and I have never seen a dodge do that with that kind of power. The cummins are weak engines, the 6.0 are not much better. I would say the only one that comes close to having comparable power is the duramax. I dont know much about thier fuel mileage but if a 7.3 is right the fuel mileage should not be any lower that 17-18 mpg.

roofcock
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
dont know if it is like the 7.3 but the cam positioning sensor will do that. i got one off ebay for $18.00 delivered. solved my problem

Add your comment to this topic!