Chevy fuel selector

bbcheat
01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I have an 87 Chevy K 1500 with dual tanks. Won't switchover tank to tank and no power to fuel pumps. If I hotwire fuel pressure is available. Does anyone know of wiring diagram? I have checked or replaced fuel valve and switch. Thanks!!

Bob B
01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
HI,
When my old 77 chevy did that, I found the wire for the valve on the fusebox above the drivers left foot had been kicked loose.
Also one person on this list that I helped with the same info.
Bob B

J-Ri
01-06-2008, 04:49 PM
They switched to electronic fuel pumps in each tank in '87, so it's no longer just a selection valve like in ours. But, as always fuses are a good place to start checking.

Chilton/hayes manuals should have wiring diagrams in them.

K10
01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey Guys, If you check behind the instrument cluster on these 73-87 trucks, you'll find the following wires that plug into the cluster as 1 plug.. :
#1 Lt. green = high beam indicator lamp. #2 Gray = instrument lamps. #3 Black = ground. #4 Pink/black stripe = ignition. #5 Tan = oil pressure sending unit. #6 Pink/black stripe = ignition. #7 Pink = Fuel (will be spliced to #18 if you have dual tanks. Use the wire from #18 to hook up fuel gauge). #8 Black = ground. #9 Dk. green = water temp sending unit. #10 Black = ground. #11 Lt. blue = left turn signal indicator lamp. #12 Dk. blue = right turn signal indicator lamp. #14 Yellow = fasten seat belt light. #15 Md. blue = choke warning light. #16 Pink/black stripe = ignition. #17 Tan/white stripe (2) = park brake warning light. #18 Pink (2) = Fuel gauge sending unit (splice to other pink wire at #7).

As you can see, # 18 and # 7 wires splice together to give you the dual crossover gas tanks.
Check out www.73-87.com (http://www.73-87.com) and click on Garage on the left, then click on Interior on the next page. There are a couple of articles written by Mike Ervin (and others) that are awesome and very detailed on some of the issues you may encounter on these trucks.

Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!