Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 LHS stalls

Pootertater
01-05-2008, 11:39 AM
My 95 LHS will stall after driving 10-20 miles. Sometimes it will do alright for a 20-30 mile trip, but then if I come back to start the car up it will not start for a while.Later it will start.
I have replaced the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. After doing this, the car did not completely stall, but it "bucked" a few times which usually preceeded a stall before.
The engine idles very smooth, but I wonder if the timing belt could be causing the problem if possibly the water pump is going bad? It did run hot one time while idling with AC on high for about 5 min. This car has 123,000 miles on it and I have only had it for a couple of weeks (bought cheap as is). I am a bit reluctant to keep driving it if it is a timing belt issue, because I have heard that a broken timing belt will probably lead to major repairs. Can someone please help diagnose this stalling problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!...

Pootertater
02-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Dosen't appear anyone else is having this problem, but if anyone else is, here is an update. I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensor. This did not solve the problem. I can drive 20 miles with no problem, but then it will cut off. After sitting for 10 minutes or so, it will start back up. I discovered that the fuel pump was not always pumping. I will turn the key on every few minutes or so and wait to hear the sound of the fuel pump, and then bingo...the fuel pump sounds and I am off for another 5 miles and then it stalls again. I figured it out. It's the fuel pump. I have a mechanic working on it over the weekend. One thing that was strange, is that I got a code 32. This suggests that I have an EGR solenoid problem. Could this be because of an incorrect air/fuel mixture (no fuel)? I will find out soon...

Pootertater
02-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Well, my mechanic tested the fuel pump, and it tested out ok. He called a tech line, and they are clueless. He told me that the aftermarket sensors are not nearly reliable as factory sensors (from the dealership). He suggested that I order one from the dealership, and if that doesn't work it could possibly be a problem with the computer. I'll keep me posted...:banghead:

dagwood68
04-13-2008, 04:39 PM
just for oyur own peice of mind.......i have a 95,and had the timing belt beak while driving.it did not hurt my motor.i did have to have the car towed home.
i put on a new belt and it good to go.i did have a problem like you are having,but the crank sensor was the problem in my case.

jase386
04-18-2008, 03:07 AM
on 12-31-07 there was a post with "stumped" in the title, one of the posters was having the same trouble youre having, and it was the fuel pump working intermittently. If your mechanic tested it, it may have been in a good mood just then..

hullabaloos
06-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Just got the same car in cherry condition. Perfect body, perfect interior, 80 k miles and exact same problem. My mechanic says his testing machine shows nothing wrong with cam sensor. Thinks it's fuel pump. He is going to replace it so stay tuned.

Add your comment to this topic!