Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to paint manifolds and exhaust housings

SilvrEclipse
01-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I had to pull my manifold off the other day to change the gasket and fix a broken stud. I have tried painting the manifold many times, usings 2000 temp paint and baking in it in the oven. Nothing will stay on it, I heard about this method from another site and figured I would try it.

This method is very simple, basically you get a can of copper spray-a-gasket and paint your exhaust manifold or turbo exhaust housing with it. Let it dry for a little while then put it all back together. The paint may stay tacky until the heat dries it so be careful when putting everything back together.

You could probably use this to paint the center section of the turbo, but I wouldn't recommend painting anything else with it. It takes a lot of heat to turn the copper color grey. Not saying the part would stay sticky but it may remain copper colored.

Here are some before and after pics. The flanges are almost fully grey now. It took a little bit longer for them to turn.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2430.jpg?t=1199548001

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z173/SilvrEclipse/DSCF2432.jpg?t=1199548090

vanilla gorilla
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Hmm...I've got my turbo and manifold off and I've got some Permatex Copper spray gasket (that is what you used right?) laying around. I might try this. So is the paint durable after it bakes?

SilvrEclipse
01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Yes that is what I used. It seems to be very durable so far. Only time will tell but so far this has turned out the best of anything I have tried so far so its worth a shot.

vanilla gorilla
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm probably going to try it. So 2000 degree paint didnt work out for you? I've used 2000 degree thermotec paint on a few manifolds and I have been pretty happy with the results. But I'm going to try this copper stuff next time though.

SilvrEclipse
01-06-2008, 12:56 AM
It has always flaked on me. I dont know what the problem has been. Another good thing about this gasket spray is that the surface doesn't have to be very clean

Add your comment to this topic!