Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

smoke from one side of my exhaust

Crackhedbob341
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
on days that it rains, or when it's cold i sometimes get white smoke that i can see out of the back. i was driving home from work last night, and my friend was behind me and said a big cloud of white smoke came out of my exhaust when i gunned it, but from only one side. my sisters boyfriend said a long time ago it could be an 02 sensor going bad, but i REALLY don't trust his opinion. is something clogged do you guys think?

i know white smoke = coolant generally speaking, but it only happens on certain days, and i don't know if it's normal or not for the car to smoke. i do have the dual exhaust btw.

AutostradaVR4
01-04-2008, 11:34 PM
that's just the way our exhaust's are routed. almost all the flow ends up coming out of the driver's side.

95DodgeAvenger95
01-05-2008, 01:02 AM
white smoke is coolant and or moisture burning i belive so if its when its cold or rainy that could be it.

Girly VR-4
01-05-2008, 12:43 PM
our cars aren't TRUE dual exhaust... it's a single exhaust, Y'd into a dual near the rear of the car. So at idle, and sometimes during driving, most of the exhaust comes out the drivers side.

As for a big puff of smoke... if your car had been idling for a while before hand, or if you hadn't driven it in a while, it will puff from moisture, if your valve stem seals are going bad (to check if this is teh case, drive the car, park it, let it idle for a little while, then give it gas, if it smokes, it's more than likely your VSS).

talskinyguy
01-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Well the stock system doesn't Y towards the rear. It runs into the drivers side muffler, and then back out the passenger side muffler, at least on the TT's, I assume NA's are the same way.

Also, VSS smoke will be tinted blue.

Stealthee
01-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Yes, but 99% of people call it white not knowing any better.

Crackhedbob341
01-05-2008, 04:01 PM
well that cleared up a lot. thanks guys!! yes, i did let my car idle a bit before i started driving. i started it and was running through my mp3 player to find music. it's not a repetative problem, so i dont think its VSS.

Add your comment to this topic!