Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya paint question.

The Lambrusco Kid
02-19-2003, 06:04 AM
Hello, I just registered.

I'm fairly new to scale models and I'm glad I've found this Forum. (I was relieved to see that I'm not a nutter because I'm stockpiling kits that I will probably never have the time to build in my lifetime).

Ok I want to know what's the difference between Tamiya X-11 and XF-16, I guess XF-16 should come out flat, right?

I don't see any significant difference between those 2 paints. I had a big piece for the Porsche 956 I'm building that needed both colors. When I examine it now I can't even see a difference. It looks exactly the same to me. (and it was airbrushed).

I've decided that on my next projects I'll just use light flat grey (XF-19?) and maybe mix in some XF-16 to really make a difference. What do you think? Maybe i'm just doing something wrong.

Also. I got an Alpine A110 kit (Tamiya) and I'd like to start but the color mix they ask for on the instructions dosen't look to nice (the amount of metalic paint in the ratio is too low).

What's the equivalent in spray paint? I know there used to be an Alpine Blue spray can but it doesn't exist anymore. Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Veyron
02-19-2003, 06:19 AM
Welcome to modeling nutterville! Anytime you see an F behind the X it will be a matt or flat color. XF will be similar to an aluminum finish, X will be closer to a chrome or more reflective finish.:)

The Lambrusco Kid
02-19-2003, 06:24 AM
I understand, but do you see an actual difference when you spray both colors next to each other? I honestly don't see any difference.

Originally posted by Veyron
Welcome to modeling nutterville! Anytime you see an F behind the X it will be a matt or flat color. XF will be similar to an aluminum finish, X will be closer to a chrome or more reflective finish.:)

Veyron
02-19-2003, 07:24 AM
I understand, but do you see an actual difference when you spray both colors next to each other? I honestly don't see any difference.

Yep, they look different to me.:confused:

freakray
02-19-2003, 07:37 AM
IMO there is a vast difference between X-11 and XF-16, perhaps you need to stir the paints more before applying them.
I have found Tamiya XF paints to enjoy a good stirring before application or they don't come out flat.

Ray

daggerlee
02-19-2003, 07:42 AM
I don't use the X-11 and XF-16 paints because the metal particle size is way too large. Instead, every time it calls for XF-16, I use an Aluminum metalizer such as Alclad II, and everytime it calls for X-11 I use Model Masters Chrome Silver enamel (much better paint, it's almost to the chrome but not as reflective).

The Lambrusco Kid
02-19-2003, 07:47 AM
I think I'll try that.

Thanks! :sun:

Originally posted by daggerlee
I don't use the X-11 and XF-16 paints because the metal particle size is way too large. Instead, every time it calls for XF-16, I use an Aluminum metalizer such as Alclad II, and everytime it calls for X-11 I use Model Masters Chrome Silver enamel (much better paint, it's almost to the chrome but not as reflective).

Add your comment to this topic!