Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

belt tensioner job=

jamesmetairie
01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
2003 vibe (base) with automatic tranny. about 85,000 miles. when start up cold if put the car into drive before warm-up heard alot of vibration noises,etc. you could see the serp belt tensioner vibrating like crazy. found the best price at "advance auto parts" - about $ 55.for the whole assembly.? draw a diagram of the serp belt routing. then
you will need to disconnect the top motor mount and jack up the engine very slightly because = the bolt on the assembly is about 4 inch in length and there,s only about 3 inch clearance to pull it out . jack up the engine just enough to be able to pull the bolt. if you jack too much you can have c/v porblems later. BTW = this tensioner is a common problem and usually goes out while the car is still under warranty. mine was leaking from the little hydralic and also the pulley was wobbly.

paulmig
01-05-2008, 07:44 AM
OMG :eek7: . My vibe has had this exact problem for a few months now and I've been tempted to try the repair myself. Being a computer guy and not an auto repair guy do I even stand a chance at completing this successfully? Or is this a job best left to the professionals?

Add your comment to this topic!