Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can holes in exhast cause low intake pressure?

whheezzzz
01-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey guys, i was wondering if haveing rusted out holes in exuast pipe and muffler could cause you to have low vaccume pressure?

cardboardpimp420
01-04-2008, 05:04 PM
holes in the exhaust usually doesn't affect the vacuum. I haven't done any exhaust work on my blazer but I do know that some cars have a vacuum line that goes to the cat. If that part is rusted out there is a possibility it can cause a problem because there would be a vacuum leak there. If that is the case you can plug up that vacuum line and that should solve that problem.

old_master
01-04-2008, 07:30 PM
There are no vacuum lines connected to any catalytic converter. Some vehicles, mainly Ford, use a DPFE that measures exhaust back pressure used in calculating how much EGR to apply.

MT-2500
01-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Not unless the exhuast or cat is plugged.
What is the engine vacuum reading at idle and at 2K rpm?
MT

whheezzzz
01-05-2008, 03:15 PM
93 4.3 Vaccume at ilde is at 17 just below the green bar.at 2k im pretty sure i remember it going up to almost 20 or so,but i could be wrong,beacuse i thought that there was more vaccume at idle,maybe it went the other way lol depending on what you guys say is to if i will remeber or not lol. There are no fluctations at all,very steady. I havent seen any hoses leading to cat, but i do have a hole right after cat where it meets the muff and 2 long holes across the muff from the strapps. i dont hear any vaccume leaks any where,used propane,no fluctuations in idle,used stethescope,couldnt hear any hissing.

ericn1300
01-05-2008, 06:41 PM
it doesn't matter how it affects engine performance, leaks in the exhaust system can be deadly and should be fixed immediatley.

2percent
01-05-2008, 07:24 PM
I dont believe it will cause low intake pressure but It could affect the backpressure an exhaust system is suppose to give and that might affect your performance.

whheezzzz
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
thanks guys

Add your comment to this topic!