Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 jetta mutiple problems and no start

pancit1
01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
I have a 94 jetta 2.0 manual tranny.was just given the car after sitting for a year.main problem is a no start.replaced battery so no issues there.when it does start it starts right away with strong crank so no starter issues.i can only explain it as a dead key.meaning when i turn the key the instrument lights come on and when a turn the key to start there's just no crank.the lights don't dim or cut out.i will turn several times without luck.i go to call in late to work,go back out to try again and it fires up on first try with a strong immediate crank.if i drive for any amount of time and then shut it off it will restart without problem.even after a couple hours no problem.but overnight or a shift at work then back to no start issues.no speedo or tach light,odometer and clock light ok.no heater control lights,no radio,radio was fine and sometimes will be able to turn on,goes to safe mode i go through unlock and before i finish led goes blank.wipers i turn on they don't work,but while driving or not they will wipe once.i'm thinking electrical?this all seem to have happenned shortly after i changed battery (within a week)after battery change everything ran good and properly.please help........typically if electrical what can i expect to spend???

Doug Tatham
01-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Check the positive battery cable. There are often several wires going to the post connector. It sounds like one of them is loose. Also check the wires that goes to your starter. There are two wires. A thick one and a small one. The small one comes from your ignition, the thick one goes to the battery. Make sure both are tight. If not this, then it may be the ignition switch. My bet is on the battery connector though.

Add your comment to this topic!