Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can old 1980's (but never opened) oil still be used in Classic/ Muscle Cars?

Blarc
01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
This is a little weird, but I don’t know who to ask, so please bear with me. My father-in-law had the largest shop I have ever seen. He is no longer with us and after looking thru his shop I found a ton (and by a ton, I mean 50-70 CASES) of motor oil. All of it is new and never been opened. The problem is that it is from the late 1980’s. Some of the quarts have a stamp from 1987. The boxes are dirty and some even have “dirt dobbers” on them. He had all types, Pennzoil, Q-State, Valveline, you name it, he has it. SAE 35, 40, 10W-30, it is crazy. Is it still useable? Could it still be used? I thought that you guys who have some nice classic and muscle machine would know. Could you use it those type of engines? Is there anything to the rumor that with the harder engines you guys need the older oil because the newer stuff does not protect your engine as well? What the hades do i do with it?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

maxwedge
01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Welcome to AF, maybe- maybe not, condensation can form in the can, small amounts, and possibly contaminate the oil, pretty risky venture in my opinion.

MagicRat
01-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I would agree, but it is likely in sealed plastic bottles.

Sealed engine oil does not go bad because no moisture and dust can get in and no evaporation of additives can occur.

Also, engine oil from the '80's still had quite a sophisticated additive package, suitable for modern cars.

IMO go ahead, use it and enjoy the savings.

'97ventureowner
01-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Also, engine oil from the '80's still had quite a sophisticated additive package, suitable for modern cars.

IMO go ahead, use it and enjoy the savings.
WAIT before you use that oil in a more modern vehicle. Check the vehicle's owners manual to see what " lettered" system is recommended. Over the years on oil bottles there appears a "starburst label" see here:http://i10.tinypic.com/6lv6ypt.jpg
You'll notice this specific label has "SJ" on it. Each time engine oil was improved to meet more demanding specifications by the auto manufacturers, that system went up a letter, i.e SJ, SK, SL, SM, etc. If your vehicle is meant to use say "SL" oil, you shouldn't use anything below that,like "SK,SJ,SH". If I remember, SA is for use in engines from the '30s and over time as the protection packages improved the lettering system move in accordance. (Not sure what they are up to at this point in time.) Using older oil can damage a newer engine since it may not meet the specs set forth by the manufacturer. I am actually in the same boat as the original poster as I have a couple of cases of "late '80s " engine oil in my basement. I can't use it in my newer vehicles as I plan to use it in my Bel Air when I get that back on the road as it's engine is a 1970 model. You can always go up on the chart when it comes to oil, but you shouldn't go down.

On a side note there is another way to "get rid" of any unwanted new oil. In many communities there is a program called "Freecycle". The purpose is to give new life to something, someone no longer wants and to keep it out of the landfill or pollution stream. I belong to one in my community and have gotten some real nice things . You can offer the oil up and say it's for '80s model vehicles. I'm sure someone out there can use it. Info here:http://www.freecycle.org/ you can see if there is one available in your community.

maxwedge
01-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I still say condensation can occur in those containers, but more to the point the zinc/phosphate additives wiil over time will damage a catylytic convertor.

xeroinfinity
01-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah I wouldn't put it in any automobiles. :nono:

Though in smaller engines, like dirt bikes , weed wackers and mowers, you could most likly use the old stuff and it would be fine(as long as it's not contaminated).

I would inspect a few quarts and see what pours out. :2cents:

MagicRat
01-06-2008, 03:42 AM
I still say condensation can occur in those containers, but more to the point the zinc/phosphate additives wiil over time will damage a catylytic convertor.
Respectfully, condensation requires an unsealed container to present a problem. If it is still sealed (and thus airtight) no additional moisture and condensation will be introduced.
There is no moisture in it except for the tiny bit that is in the air trapped at the top of the bottle, which was there since new.

As for additives.......... if the oil was made after 1976 or so, the additive package is compatible with converters. If the oil really is from the late '80's as posted, its fine for cats. (Still, the thread indicates use with muscle cars, which most likely are pre - 1975 and do not have cats. )

However, If the oil is not rated "SD" , SE or higher, it is not good for cats.
This includes oil intended for diesels (marked with a 'C').

I will modify part of my recommendation though ......(from the initial post), some of the oil may not be a multi - grade (ie, a straight 30 weight oil) which I would not recommend for use in a car anyways.

G.A.S.
01-06-2008, 03:52 AM
there is nothing wrong with that oil. use it. it is in a sealed container. where is the moisture going to come from

xeroinfinity
01-06-2008, 10:49 AM
One thing I do know for fact about old oil, the additives can settle to the bottom of the container.

I found a couple quarts of oil a while back that was from 1995, looking into the (white) container I could see a darker color of stuff that seperated to the bottom.

Might shake it up... :2cents:

'97ventureowner
01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
While we're on the subject...
Here's a link for informational purposes for those who may be interested. It describes the API label on the oil container and what the two letter designation means and what years they became available. It is in a .pdf format and is roughly 1.36MB in size, so those on a slower internet connect be warned of a slow download:http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/pubs/upload/1509_16thedition042007.pdf

72chevelleOhio
02-01-2008, 05:19 AM
I would maybe used the oil in a lawnmower I didn't care about. I would drill a small hole in the bottoms of the containers to get the oil out, and not destroy the container. I think all the packages will be worth more than the oil itself, or maybe full containers too. I had some old cardboard "paint can" oil containers that the oil broke down and destroyed the label. I would like to see the containers just for novelty.

'97ventureowner
02-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I would maybe used the oil in a lawnmower I didn't care about. I would drill a small hole in the bottoms of the containers to get the oil out, and not destroy the container. I think all the packages will be worth more than the oil itself, or maybe full containers too. I had some old cardboard "paint can" oil containers that the oil broke down and destroyed the label. I would like to see the containers just for novelty.
Or you can sell it on eBay :lol: . Seriously though there maybe someone out there who'd be interested in it. You never know.

NOVA71
02-17-2008, 07:46 AM
I'd say as long as the containers aren't punctured and the contents look good, use it. I put a new posi in my Nova about 6 or 7 years ago. Found some GM dealer Posi Traction lubrication at my father's (he was a mechanic for GM). The cans were probably 20+ years old. They were actually in metal cans that I opened with a can opener. They have been in my car ever since with no problems.

Add your comment to this topic!