Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to get the best engine life from my blazer?

rastaskater
01-03-2008, 01:40 AM
I just bought a 95' 4x4 Blazer 4door LT. It has 213,xxx miles on it, but only 69,000 on the rebuilt engine, and Transmission. It drives great, starts fine. The previous owner poured money into parts, and thats exactly what im trying to avoid. What are some things that i can do, to get the best life out of my car?

Also, my buddy told me i should get the 4x4 serviced soon. I don't have any record of it being serviced so im guessing i should. what do they do, and how much does it cost?

Thanks alot

BRD
01-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I hope the prior owner's attention to the veh saved you some $$$. Change the oil regularly, keep the tires aired up, burn clean gasoline where you can find it, and add a bottle of Techron or equiv every once in a while. 4.3L V-6 is a great little engine. Strong, dependable. It's not a luxury car powerplant, which means you can feel it & hear it running (nice throaty output) even at its smoothest, but it's relatively headache-free in the upkeep dept and will treat you as well on gas mileage as you treat it.

rastaskater
01-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Okay. Well i just added(and decreased in one tire) more airpressure(max is 44psi, so im at 34-36)

Also changed the oil/oil filter(quaker state/FRAM)

Since i just changed my oil i think im going to fill up a tankful of gas and go buy a bottle of that techron stuff. Does it really work?

Thanks...

Taylor44
01-04-2008, 04:47 AM
I prefer the Lucas Fuel Treatment ... I have noticed a mileage increase and smoother running engine (both my Bravada and RAM) when using the Lucas Treatment. I also use the Lucas Oil Treatment in both trucks ('00 Bravada has 125K on it - '02 RAM has 112K on it) and change oil 5-6K --- I personally know some guys that pull Super Pro Tractors and they went through engine bearings every 3-4 runs.... after using the Lucas products that problem is now GONE... Figure if this can fix that problem, it ain't gonna hurt my 2000 RPM engines :-)

G.A.S.
01-04-2008, 06:19 AM
use this http://www.seafoamsales.com/ .
cleans the inside of the engine, fuel system.
read up on this and you cant go wrong. restores power like you wouldnt believe.
I use it in a fleet of equipment. the oil was black when I got there and I started adding this to the fuel. what a difference in power. I also add one ounce to the oil and run the engine for 5 min. right befor the oil changes.
After the third oil change I now have liquid gold color oil in all my equipment.
check out the sight, you wont be dissipointed.

BRD
01-04-2008, 08:18 AM
I forgot to add, change the air filter every 6 mos or so (fiber/paper filter) or get a K&N. The Lucas products are good, too. I dunno about the other - check it out.

rastaskater
01-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Im going to try that lucas fuel treatment...

How do i inject it into the engine.... to remove all that c02 build up.... remove the intake manifold and squirt some in or what?

ZL1power69
01-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Im going to try that lucas fuel treatment...

How do i inject it into the engine.... to remove all that c02 build up.... remove the intake manifold and squirt some in or what?
any fuel treatment is just added into the gas tank. its good to use one every once and awhile.

sickcallawayc12
01-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Make sure to get a chassis lubrication or do it yourself every 6k or so also. Differential and tranny fluids should be changed once or twice a year.

brandon200317
02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
in the "4x4 service" all they do is drain the front and rear differential fluids, and usually inspect the gears being you have to pull the rear cover of the rear diff to drain. with that they will also replace the gasket or rtv on the rea diff also. i don't remember if they change transfer case fluid or not, i want to say they do, it's been a while since i've done one. depending on when it was last done, i would get a transmission flush, inspect the fluid, if it's kinda brownish in color or smells kinda burnt then get it flushed. Unless you have tranny issues there is no reason why you should have to change your tranny and diff fluids once to twice a year... at the chevy dealership i work for we do 4x4 and tranny flush service at 60,000 mile intervals but it depends on if your hard on it or not, towing alot or not. as far as air... 30-35 psi in tires, driver door panel should state the factory reccomendations on a sticker typically. lubricating suspension is important on these vehicles. those are the major things, and of course tire rotation every 6,000 about and oil change every 3k. if you take it to a dealership, they can do all these services in one package typically and will also include air induction cleaning and direct fuel injection cleaning. (I V style kinda) as far as the air filter, 6k is kinda excessive, i'd go 15k to change it or clean it (if you have an aftermarket)usually unless of course you live in the flippin dust bowl or something ha ha. hope this helps

dragon_kin01
02-07-2008, 12:45 AM
ok guys i worked firestone and this is what i personally told alot of people and theyve come back to me andsaid their car is in best condtion then ever before.

Engine - I live in arizona and tell people 10-W30 in winter and 10-W40 in the summer. best oil to use depens on the mileage on ur motor. 75,000 and up high mileage for wear, 74,999 and below synth. blend for normal driving, full syth. for performace. Tune ups every 30,000, including pull plugs and look at wear, pull plug wires one at a time for wear and soft spots, throttle body cleaning at every tune up, fuel filter every other tune up, and rune something called Marvel Mysteru Oil in the tank. I use it on my 85 S-10 and that things carb is SOOOOOOO clean.

Oil additives - Lucas for performace since it thickens the oil slightly for better lube. Marvel oil for smoother, quieter motor and for motors that are just for getting around.

Tranny - Manual, 60,000 mile drain and fill. Auto, pull the stick regularly and smell. ANY differance get the trany flush and filter. If u have an aout, BAY THAT THING. if it goes down, ur looking at a major money dent.

4X4 service - Front and rear diff drain when u pull the fill and stick ur fingur in. if there is a color differance flush it. pull of the diff cover and check for metal shavings. The transfewr case should be flushed with the diffs, but some shops dont do that (Firestone doesnt)

Tires - on a blazer it should be 35 psi all around. have a pressure gauge in ur truck at all times. check in the moring cold for best reading.

Alingment - if it hasnt been done, get it check and have it aligned if it out. that and tire will be ur worst fuel enemy. after this check have it check once a year, twice if u live on rough dirt roads.

Battery - make sure that thing is clean and free of acid biuld up at all times. pop off the battery gaurds and check water regularly. Use dissiled. batt. that are taken care of and not put through high demand last 5-7 years. (mines 5 and still have full Cold cranking amps)

Brakes - if ur low on fluid, get the system inspected. (u have a leak somewhere, same with power streening) Pads usually last about 35,000 miles more with less braking and less with more braking. when u do pads, turn the rotor to ensure smooth braking. u can check pads ur self by taking off the tire using a nickle next to the pad. if the nickle dont fit replace them.

i know it lengthy but it will save ur motor and make it last past 300,000. just baby the truck and it will love u

Add your comment to this topic!