Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i want to change my steering wheel on my 1997 sunfire

zerosk8er929069
01-03-2008, 01:03 AM
i want to change it cause the air bag has been deployed and i dont want to pay 500$ for a new steering wheel can someone help me

Classicrocjunkie
01-03-2008, 02:13 AM
In back there are 2 bolts holding your air bag in place. You can use a T-30 torx bit or a 10mm thing socket. They will not pop all the way out as they are apart of your steering wheel. They will release your bag, or whats left of it. Get that out of the way and then you need a steering wheel puller. This will pull your wheel off the splines. However, how to you plan on getting around the flashing airbag light? You have a few options here....

I have a driver side air bag, passenger side and SDM module from my 99 sitting in my garage right now un-deployed and working properly. I no longer need these as i am re-wiring my car to a 2003 and i have a 2003-05 passenger air bag and SDM. I am going with an aftermarket wheel because i'm with you, $500 is dumb. I would be willing to let the whole steering wheel with airbag and SDM module go for $150 plus shipping. This would clear that light out and make it as if nothing ever happend.

Or this way a little harder and more expensive..

Get yourself an aftermarket steering wheel without air bags. You will also need a hub adaptor. Momo p/n 2401 will fit any 6 bolt wheel anything smaller like 5 you have to get a billet one made by Grant. They list 2 part number from Grant, you need the Billet one, the other its only a 3 bolt. The adaptors usually go for $75 shipped for momo and wheels are in the $80-200 range for a quality wheel. I just snagged a Tenzo-R Version- 5 titanuim for $89 shipped off ebay. But your still stuck with your airbag light flashing. Now since your air bags deployed your SDM module is spent. You need to get that reflashed for $100 at your dealership or online, or buy a new one not deployed on e-bay for who knows how much, then if you still want your aftermarket wheel you need to wire in a resistor 2.2ohm into the socket for the air bag. Should be red, red, gold, gold resister. A new SDM and this trick will get rid of the air bag light. If your passenger side hasn't deployed, it will still function with the resistor trick and new SDM.

If you want the air bags lemme know.

zerosk8er929069
01-04-2008, 12:20 AM
thx man but i dont think i have an air bag light and i dont even have the cover for the steering wheel so all i see when im driving is the wheel (and it looks kinda odd without the cover) a big gold nut and a yellow wire coming out of the middle of the wheel........and sence i dont have the cover i dont have a horn and if im not mistaken that is illegal

Classicrocjunkie
01-04-2008, 12:43 AM
If you don't have an airbag, then i wonder how the hell your light isn't on.. hmm.. Thats a brain stumper.

zerosk8er929069
01-04-2008, 12:45 AM
i know right......you think the guy i bought it from might have rewired it

dugan50
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Try this site. I'm sure you can find what you need

www.car-part.com
It's the website all the salvage yards use when they say "Hang on--let me see if my other yard has it". Actually it's an online database of all the salvage yards in America. You can search by part, location or price

zerosk8er929069
01-04-2008, 06:57 PM
i think it will but i have to talk to the ppl near me first....but thank you for your help

Add your comment to this topic!