Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 LHS overheating

dahirolla
01-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Tried:
New fan relay
New fan motor
New thermostat
New intake manifold gasket
Bled air from coolant system
Verified fuzes are in working order

Still get:
Poor exceleration and overheats in under ten minutes with heavy boiling in the radiator.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

dahirolla
01-07-2008, 09:27 AM
*Bump* Surely someone out there knows what I can look for next. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

It seems to me that if the radiator is boiling over then the water pump is at least partially operational, otherwise, how would the coolant in the radiator get so hot?

Pootertater
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
The repair manual states:

Insufficient coolant in system.
Water pump drivebelt defective or out of adjustment.
Radiator core blocked or grille restricted.
Thermostat faulty.
Electric coolant fan blades broken or cracked.
Radiator cap not maintaining proper pressure.

dahirolla
01-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the info!

I think I've elimenated all but 2. Water pump drivebelt defective or out of adjustment, and 6. Radiator cap not maintaining proper pressure.

How can I test these two items? Radiator cap seemed just fine to me as well, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

The water pump was actually my thought about the most likely culprit, but like I said above, that boiling hot water in the radiator would seem to me to indicate that at least some water is being pumped, but I'm no expert.

Thanks!

wayneo69
01-10-2008, 06:47 PM
head gaskets or head block test it

Pootertater
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Yeah. Guess what. Got the same problem. My wife drove the car and it started running hot. My car was stalling, and I suspected the water pump was dragging down the timing belt. The water pump is driven by the timing belt. Well it ran hot today, and I think we may have blown the head gasket(s). She drove it to my local mechanic and he will look at it tomarrow. One thing for sure...if the head gasket(s) is blown, I will replace the water pump and timing belt (timing belt is recommended to be changed at 105,000 miles). If it is the water pump that is bad, you might as well change out the timing belt as well. Water pump is about $35 and timing belt is $35-$50.

dahirolla
01-10-2008, 09:57 PM
How do I test the water pump?

inafogg
01-10-2008, 10:41 PM
hello with engine atleast warm so thermostat is open & rad cap off run engine up to about 2-2 1/2 K you should be able to see water flowing though the rad. cores.but if its over heating that quick i'd suspect a head gasket.a block tester as mentioned above will tell for sure.Good Luck & let us know

dahirolla
01-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Sweet. Thanks.

What's a block tester? My dad has a compression check tool...will that do it?

inafogg
01-11-2008, 02:02 PM
no its not a compression tester a block tester takes gases from radiator to check if carbondioxide is present.tool is about $40 you could also have it checked at a radiator shop

ald872000
01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
sounds like a head gasket, its goning to cost around 1800 to fix good luck

dahirolla
01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I've replaced a head gasket before, and it wasn't too big of a deal...it was on a smaller four cylinder though.

Would it be hard to replace it on this car?

I suppose a compression test is in order. If there's a failed head gasket, would a compression test reveal that? Also, would it isolate the particular head that has the problem?

Thanks.

Pootertater
02-08-2008, 03:51 AM
My '95 LHS overheated. I was concerned about the head gasket, especially since when I first started back down the road after overheating I had a little steam coming out of the exhaust, but that went away. From what I hear, this can be normal as long as it dosen't continue. Turns out, there was some air in the sealed radiator system. My mechanic bled the air out and the problem was never resurfaced...

Add your comment to this topic!