2003 Rear Defroster cable disconnected

mad1985
01-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I noticed that one of the connections on the rear window defroster has come loose. How can I reconnect this to the metal plate on the window?

garync1
01-03-2008, 08:21 AM
If its the wire that goes to the start of the film that defrosts you can solder or some times aluminum foil works. Also some auto parts places have repair kits for this..Most likely in your case solder should do it..

mad1985
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
If its the wire that goes to the start of the film that defrosts you can solder or some times aluminum foil works. Also some auto parts places have repair kits for this..Most likely in your case solder should do it..

The wire is attached to a metallic pad,thru a connector, that was soldered to a thin sheet of metal. My concern is that during soldering the metal sheet may be effected by the heat? Is a thermal conductive compound used to two metal surfaces?Would a thermal conductive epoxy be a better remedy?

garync1
01-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Well the kit I have seen,I think is an epoxy..

tripletdaddy
01-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Boy soldering on a window is not my first choice. That scares me. I'd be also afraid of delaminating the heat grid in the area of the repair by cooking the adhesive holding it on. All of the soldering on that grid was done prior to it being installed. I'd opt for another solution that wouldn't risk becoming a $300 repair suddenly. Maybe it can be done, but I'm not convinced. I'd even worry about delaminating the safety glass. If a conductive epoxy exists, I'd definitely use it or some other way around soldering.

garync1
01-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Ok went out to look at my van and I think i know where your problem is. If you notice you may be able to use a dab of glue in the center of the plate if that is what came undone. The area around the square is metal so even if the glue insulates the power it will be where it is applied. try to keep it in the center and as small of a drop as you can. I think that should work.. I was thinking your metal prong part had broke off. I can see were the plate could come off. The power looks like it spreads out of the sides anyway. hope this helps. Gary

yankeefan654
01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I found the wire and connector hanging off of the connection point on the rear window of my '01 Windstar. (probably the kids fault!) I soldered the metal spade connector back on to the pad on the rear window with good results. I would recommend minimal solder so there isn't too much heat localized in the repaired area...

tripletdaddy
01-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Congrats, bravo, my hat's off to you Yankeefan for being so brave to try what I wouldn't and fix the connector without breaking the glass!?! Now after hearing it is possible, I would be willing to try it but would put a wet towel or rag on the window outside while soldering on it on the inside. This is an old trick used for welding, soldering, sweating,etc. that didn't think about at first as I was too petrified of popping that glass. A friend had a rear window explode out of the blue while parked at a gas station. No one knows why.

Add your comment to this topic!