Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Truck - No Reverse Gear

duncanst
12-31-2007, 09:59 PM
1989 Sierra K1500 5.7L, V8, Vin (K), 4 WHD, 150K miles.

My neighbor and I own this truck and it is only used off road (primarily for snow plowing a dirt road and our two driveways).

In Jan 2006 the transmission failed (no reverse gear) and my neighbor had the transmission rebuilt at a nearby transmission shop. It worked fine after the "rebuild".

This month (Dec 2007) reverse gear began slipping with the truck moving slowly in reverse until the transmission had been warmed up (backed up multiple times). Now reverse gear doesn't work at all. When the truck is put into reverse gear it's like putting it in neutral (nothing). All other gears work fine. This fall I checked the transmission fluid and it appeared OK and was bright red. But after the transmission failed last week in reverse, I checked the fluid level and it was low (not showing anything on the dipstick). I added about 3 quarts to fill it while the engine was running hot in Park, but reverse still doesn't work. My neighbor called the transmission company and they are out of business. I think we were stiffed and the transmission was not rebuilt (just "doctored up" to run temporarily in reverse).

Does anyone know what the problem is and do you have any recommendations (besides finding a reputable transmission repair shop to repair it again)? :banghead:

Thanks.....Steve

Z15
01-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I am not transmission expert but we once had a suburban at work where reverse suddenly went out. The shop said it was commonly some seal deep in the trans that fails. Since the trans has to be torn down completely to repair, a rebuild cost just as much.

Finding a good trans shop is not easy. Might want to consider a used one from a salvage yard? Can save a lot of $$ and many yards have shops that can install them. Other than that, compare a rebuilt one from a local parts source you trust. Often the labor saved makes its just about the same as a rebuild from a fly by night trans shop.

Add your comment to this topic!