Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Denali Won't start fast clicking

mickth
12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
So I bought a 2003 Denali XL. 78K miles. Runs great. Drove it back from CA to OR. Drove it all week. Then went out to start it this morning, and all I get is a very fast click click click click. I jump it from my suburban, and it starts fine. Drove it all day, drove it home, turned it off and let it sit there for a few hours, try it again, and I get click click click click click. I checked the terminals, and they look clean. I had this problem with my suburban a few years ago, and the side bolts were mucked up. Cleaned them up, and the problem went away. These bolts look brand new. Connections are tight. I could suspect the starter, but when I jump it from another vehicle, it starts. Should I have a different battery, now that the climate is different? (CA vs. OR). Do I just need to get a battery charger, and trickle charge the battery? Is there some odd fuse linking the battery and the starter?

maxwedge
12-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Welcome to AF.How about testing the battery, basic diagnostics.

RaeRae1
12-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Sounds like battery to me. check to see if you need to replace it. Most automotive parts stores will check it for free.

mickth
12-31-2007, 09:50 PM
Well, the battery that is in it, is about 3 months old. The previous owner put an AAA battery in it. I've not ever used them, so I can't say good or bad on the quality. Would a place like AutoZone test it for me? Wonder if they're open on New Years Day......

Add your comment to this topic!