Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

70 GTO Elec Ignition Conversion suggestions

Strict70
12-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Guys..

Hello from Van BC..I have a 70 Goat 400 and want to convert to an Elec ignition and keep the stock appreance as much as possible as it has collector plates and needs to remain original.

So I have seen some of the MSD's wit the "fake" Dist Cap on them..any one use them? Any others? Suggestions?

I also want to put a new exhaust on thhis spring and was looking at a few kits but the all wont work with stock manifolds...anyone know of any good kits that will work with a stock setup?

Cheers and thanks

JG

MrPbody
12-31-2007, 12:30 PM
We use Crane "XRi" conversions for the Pontiac V8. It uses the original "points" distributor (it's okay, unlike Chevy, Pontiac doesn't hae a spark "scatter" problem). it also includes a built-in rev limiter. Quite a nice piece, and very reasonably priced. Summitt and Jeg's both, among others, have them. This system has more features and is lower in price than Petronix or Mallory.

"Pypes" has pre-bent exhaust systems for GTO. You need to know if you have the "log" manifolds or the better "HO" manifolds. Do a search on "Performance Years" or "Ames Performance" and you'll find ALL the Pontiac parts you ever need.

One of the premiere Pontiac engine builders is right there in your town. That's Dave Bishop at SD Engine Service. He KNOWS his Pontiacs.

Jim

Strict70
12-31-2007, 12:44 PM
WOW - thanks for all the great info. Ill look into it and update soon

Strict70
12-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Just had a look, thakst what Im looking for, thanks. Would you recommend the upgrdae to the HO mainifold if I have the log one in place now. I know I have replaced the gaskets 4 times on mine and get a leak every time....

think they are the log ones...not sure..

MrPbody
01-02-2008, 08:36 AM
The HO manifoilds are quite large. The "logs" are quite small, and appear to be "part" of the head. The logs dump fairly high in the engine compartment, and have a 2" or 2 1/4" opening. The HOs are curved nicely and dump low.

HO manifolds are better for power output by about 25-30 HP. They will make about the same as a cheaper header. Good, 4-tube headers are the "best" for power output. Iron manifolds are quieter and long-lifed.

Yoiu shouldn't have any exhaust leaks with manifolds. The logs tend to warp a bit, but can be resurfaced. Pontiac used no gaskets, stock. Leaks weren't a problem until someone started messing with them. If you're using header gaskets (thicker and pliable), they're probably why you can't get it to stay sealed. Use the steel "shim" supplied by most gasket companies in rebuild sets. Torque the bolts to 28 lb. ft.

Jim

Strict70
01-02-2008, 10:51 AM
thanks for the helpfull info..I would love to do the upgrade to the HO mainifold..I have found these...Im assuming this is what you were talking about for the "HO" head.

RPE652 1968-72 2.25" RA D-PORT MANIFOLDS ...................$379.00/pr

or...

RPE654 1968-72 2.25" RA ROUND-PORT MANIFOLDS ........$399.00/pr
5 bolt design that will fit 1964-67 w/ RA Round-port heads. These are perfect for those using round port heads but wanting to maintain a stock appearance.

MrPbody
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
The terms "HO" and "Ram Air" can get confusing. The Ram Air II and IV engines used "round" exhaust ports, as well as the '71-'74 455 HO and SD. The '70 455 HO had "D-ports". When talking about the manifolds, the "HO" are usually refering to the d-ports, and "Ram Air" refers to the round ports. The heads you site are d-ports. So, yes, the first set is what you're after.

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!