Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 nissan pulsar *IDLING* Please HELP me

carlo_2222
12-30-2007, 04:57 PM
My pulsar is having a strange idling up-down-up-down(1500-1100-1500-1100rpm) i sent it in NISSAN motors, i waited for 2hours, it was scanned in the computer(nissan), all the codes/readings came out. they diagnosed it the prob is IDLING CONTROL UNIT, they told me if it didnt go with the IDLING CONTROL UNIT still, might need to replace the COMPUTER as well.

They quoted me
IDLING CONTROL UNIT $550.
COMPUTER is $3100
cost a LOT!!

Theres a car wrecker(pick a part) near our place and theres lots of nissan model.

Is there anyone who can help me to solve my problem... Advice...
or just instruct me on how to replace that UNIT or the COMPUTER..
Im doing much DIY's on cars as well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (not for me.)

mmcleo11
01-09-2008, 04:54 AM
The idle control unit is a common problem. They often get clogged up and stop sucking in air at idle. I would recommend taking the car to a knowledgeable mechanic(not Nissan) and having the Idle Air Control unit and its intake pipe cleaned with throttle body cleaner. Also check the Idle Air Control Unit does not have a vacuum leak.

carlo_2222
01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
i got a question, in replacing ECU.. Unplug the broken ECU and plug the new one and thats it? do we need to do something else? thanks!

Sunny1996
01-25-2008, 06:55 AM
My pulsar is having a strange idling up-down-up-down(1500-1100-1500-1100rpm) i sent it in NISSAN motors, i waited for 2hours, it was scanned in the computer(nissan), all the codes/readings came out. they diagnosed it the prob is IDLING CONTROL UNIT, they told me if it didnt go with the IDLING CONTROL UNIT still, might need to replace the COMPUTER as well.

They quoted me
IDLING CONTROL UNIT $550.
COMPUTER is $3100
cost a LOT!!

Theres a car wrecker(pick a part) near our place and theres lots of nissan model.

Is there anyone who can help me to solve my problem... Advice...
or just instruct me on how to replace that UNIT or the COMPUTER..
Im doing much DIY's on cars as well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (not for me.)

Now should be Happy Chinese New Year. :banghead:
Well, let's get back to biz now.
If u hv a friend who has similar model or CEU (Central Electronic Unit), which u refer 2 the computer, u can easily swap with each other. After the swap is complete u can test it if the so-called idling rpm is gone. If it goes away then u'r 100% is the computer problem. This method saves u tremendous uncessary time, headache and money.

If u'r interested in CEU then u can do troubleshooting up to component level. Upon finding which exactly the failed components, such as capacitor, diode, resistors or even malfunctioned ICs u can buy & replace them.

If it's due to ICU, then u need more mechanical knowledge to due with it so how? Well, u can perform troubleshooting by eliminating unknowns on stages. 1st, trial-and-error by turning,pressing,etc of any of the adjustable parts within the ICU to observe any new changes that can help u to relocate its original positions so that ur idling rpm can be stable.

Sunny1996
01-25-2008, 07:15 AM
i got a question, in replacing ECU.. Unplug the broken ECU and plug the new one and thats it? do we need to do something else? thanks!

Well, that's very much depending on situations. If so happen that everything works in harmony then obviously u'r lucky but if it's not then u still hv to do adjustment.

I bought a brand new throttlebody for 800 ringgit malaysia (without warranty) for my wife's Proton Wira 1.6 AT.

Then only realized that there was a screw-nut that compensate rpm drops when aircond is turned on.

At first the Proton service center mechanic told me it was the throttlebody malfuctioned completely and it could not be done with anything but complete replacement. Now I know even senior mechanic can be fucked up also.

Now I still keep the so-called malfunctioning throttlebody because it's not spoiled, it still can work. To keep it for future use in case the new one gives way one day.

Add your comment to this topic!