Page updated on 09-26-2017

'93 Integra - intermittently will not start, but turns over

Pickngrin
12-30-2007, 04:41 PM
My wife's 1993 Acura Integra has about 35K miles on it (yes, you read that correctly). Everything's been in good condition but recently there's been a problem where it intermittently will not start. When this happens, the engine turns over. I checked the battery, and it's ok. This has happened on 2 occasions and both times, the engine was cold.
Last night, we repeatedly tried to start it, with no success. Last night I also pulled off one of the spark plug wires (was going to check for spark, but realized the rubber boot was in the way) and then reseated it. This morning, I was going to check the resistance on the ignition coil, but before I even tried, I was able to start the car successfully. Switched off and was able to effortlessly restart. 3 or 4 times.
I'm assuming that it's not the starter, since the engine turns over. My understanding is that defective ignition modules fail when they're hot, not cold. My wife said that this problem occurred a few weeks ago, and she kept trying and trying to start the ignition, and eventually it started without her doing anything different.
Any ideas what the culprit might be? I'm hoping to diagnose and replace the faulty component rather than having to take the car in to a mechanic for a fishing expedition.

Thanks!

Pickngrin
01-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Update.... my wife didn't want to drag this out so she brought it to the mechanic last week. Of course, it started every time he tried. He said it is in need of a tune up, but couldn't find anything wrong at the time. He said the tested the fuel pressure. He said perhaps current is leaking out of the spark plug wires.
Any ideas?
Thanks

wiseguy01
01-16-2008, 01:05 AM
quick test is to if you can take a number 12 wrench and or socket and a flat screwdriver and remove the distributor and take it to your nearest autozone and ask them to test the icm= ignition control module like you where saying when it gets hot it goes bad thats correct but thic is how you eliminate this probability and if by chance it is bad then you will have to replace the distributor because the icm is internally mounted

rrruschman
01-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Main relay.

wiseguy01
01-16-2008, 02:33 PM
do like you did and check for spark and if theres no spark then it cant be the relay but if his starter is turning over but the car will not start then the main relay is eliminated

cluelessthenandnow
01-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Update.... my wife didn't want to drag this out so she brought it to the mechanic last week. Of course, it started every time he tried. He said it is in need of a tune up, but couldn't find anything wrong at the time. He said the tested the fuel pressure. He said perhaps current is leaking out of the spark plug wires.
Any ideas?
Thanks

I had EXACT same problem with my 92 GS. My even more clueless brother than me suggested i use premium gas every third fill up or so. That has seemed to resolve the problem for the past year or so. (I haven't a clue why tho). I also found certain gas like Shell reg causes the problem. If she buys her gas from an independent like Costco or such, she should get the premium. I hope that helps!!

Pickngrin
01-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the input. Update... I tried removing the distributor a few weeks ago, because I couldn't remove the distributor cover -- damn rotor screw is corroded and inaccessible. After I couldn't remove the rotor, I re-installed the distributor, changed the spark plug wires (bought aftermarket wires at Pep Boys) and spark plugs...that was 2 weeks ago and the car has started easily every time so far. I'm not positive if the problem is fixed, but if it starts next time it rains, I'll feel more confident.
Thanks again for the input.

wiseguy01
01-27-2008, 01:48 PM
why does everyone automoatically assume its the main relay because my 93 main relay has not gone out yet and the car is 18 years old i think maybe honda figured out the problem on the main relay because i was expecting like evryone is talking about but ive never had a prob with relay if anything its the way the owner takes care of there car and whether or not they have a loud@ss 2,000 watt stereo because then you will have problems with the electrical and if your distributor screw was corroded then that means water was getting to it so i would check the gasket on the distributor cap because also if water gets in the distributor then that will also cause the prob

cluelessthenandnow
02-13-2008, 11:02 AM
quick test is to if you can take a number 12 wrench and or socket and a flat screwdriver and remove the distributor and take it to your nearest autozone and ask them to test the icm= ignition control module like you where saying when it gets hot it goes bad thats correct but thic is how you eliminate this probability and if by chance it is bad then you will have to replace the distributor because the icm is internally mounted

Just out of curiousity, which autozone are you talking about? Anyone I have been to, I have found the guys to be unhelpful and defintely clueless (but prolly not as clueless as me!)

wiseguy01
02-13-2008, 11:44 AM
well my the autozone near me is in banning ca and i dont know if the autozone near you has retards or not :lol: just ask a manager thats in a grey shirt and they will be happy to help you the test is called the icm test ignition control module test it involves them testing your icm inside the distributor and depending on what there computer says if its bad or not or you can buy the rebuilt distributor and put it in if the car works then the problem but if it doesnt then we have bigger problems you can always return the distributor to autozone the same day goodluck

Add your comment to this topic!