Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rubbing sound

slider56
12-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Hi there,

I have a 2003 Lincoln LS. Whenever I take the car out at the beginning of the day, or after the car has been parked for a few hours, I hear a rubbing sound coming from the car. To be honest, it sounds like something is scraping against the tire. After I have driven the car for 20 minutes or so, the sound disappears. The sound kind of speeds up as I drive the car faster.

I have already checked the tires and they are not rubbing against anything. Also, everything is stock on the car.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

shorod
12-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Does the noise change during turns, or when the brakes are applied? What if you shift to neutral while cruising down the road? What do you mean by "kind of speeds up as I drive the car faster?" Does it seem related to vehicle speed, or are you suggesting it may be related to engine speed?

-Rod

slider56
12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I am not sure if it is related to engine speed or vehicle speed. With regards to turns, I don't know how it is really effected because I have to slow down, and the sound slows down with it. Basically, it is an intermittent sound that becomes much more frequent as I go faster. It's not the constant hum I heard when I had to get my wheel bearing replaced.

When I am driving on the street, it sounds like: rub...........................rub................. ...rub.........................rub when going at about 35.

When I am on the freeways, it sounds much like:
rub....rub....rub.....rub....rub and it slows down as I slow down for a turn or to exit.

Let me try and shift the car into neutral when I am crusing and will let you know what happens.

Thanks.

shorod
12-30-2007, 08:20 PM
You may want to consider having your tires inspected for separated belts.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!