Battery light glows very dim

greg42
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I notice that my battery light on the dash is glow very dim and stays lite even after the truck is turned off, anybody got any ideas

BRD
01-03-2008, 05:31 PM
What does your voltage scale on the dash say about whether your battery is charging when the engine is running? Ideally it'll read right at 14 v normal operation, at least 12 v when you're running the A/C + radio. Any of the auto parts chains can test your battery and your alternator's output (or you can with a DC multimeter). Alternator may be fine. You don't say how old the battery is. When they crap out, however, they won't take a full charge, which could explain the little light staying on. Even after the engine is shut down, your veh's electronics are still dependent on the battery for a tiny current, like to keep the clock/radio's settings. Good luck.

greg42
01-07-2008, 12:17 PM
I assume it is the battery, the gauge shows a little over 14, the light went off over the weekend, but came on this morning after the doors we open when they replaced the wind sheild,

do you agree it must be the battery

BRD
01-07-2008, 01:06 PM
No. If your alternator's putting out 13-14v and your battery is accepting the charge when the engine's running and you have good start-cranking power, your problem is probably in the instrument panel wiring, above my pay grade. I don't believe it would have anything to do with a windshield replacement.

greg42
01-07-2008, 04:33 PM
You are correct, I took the speedo out of my other Envoy and put it in this one and the battery light is not glowing, I have to replace the speedo

Add your comment to this topic!