Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Camry...key + ignition = problems

AznGunner
12-27-2007, 09:31 PM
So when I goto to turn the engine off...normally I have to depress the key into the ignition then turn the key more left before I can fully remove the key. This just started....now when I depress the key into the ignition, I can no longer turn it left....thus, I cannot remove the key from the ignition. I can jiggle it all different ways and still nothing....the only way to get it to work is to restart the engine....then it will usually work properly. How will I fix this??:runaround:

somick
12-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Sometimes keys get stuck because your transmission is not fully in Park. When you restart your car it may shake and get transmission completely in P. Other than that you will probably need a new ignition lock, that might be pricey.

May be other members with better knowledge of locks will have other ideas.

Sam

AznGunner
12-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Sometimes keys get stuck because your transmission is not fully in Park. When you restart your car it may shake and get transmission completely in P. Other than that you will probably need a new ignition lock, that might be pricey.

May be other members with better knowledge of locks will have other ideas.

Sam

What would be a reasonable price for a new ignition lock?

somick
12-28-2007, 03:37 PM
What would be a reasonable price for a new ignition lock? At www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) iginition lock cylinder for I4 93 Camry is $39.99 plus shipping.

If you really want it done you can talk to a professional locksmith. They may do it a little cheaper then a dealer.

Good luck,

Sam

AznGunner
12-28-2007, 07:36 PM
At www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) iginition lock cylinder for I4 93 Camry is $39.99 plus shipping.

If you really want it done you can talk to a professional locksmith. They may do it a little cheaper then a dealer.

Good luck,

Sam

I got a quote from a mechanic for $189 plus tax. I'll try a locksmith next. When this ignition lock cylinder is changed, I'm assuming I'll have two keys for the car...one for the ignition (new) and one for the trunk and doors (old)...is there anyway to keep it just one key?

2000izusu
12-28-2007, 07:58 PM
I got a quote from a mechanic for $189 plus tax. I'll try a locksmith next. When this ignition lock cylinder is changed, I'm assuming I'll have two keys for the car...one for the ignition (new) and one for the trunk and doors (old)...is there anyway to keep it just one key?
that is why you probly want a locksmith to do it. they can re-key the ingnition to match the doors and trunk.

Add your comment to this topic!