1996 Left Front End Clicking Noise

gregr56
12-27-2007, 06:33 PM
My daughter has a 1996 Avalon. When she backs out or drives forward and turns left there is a distinct clicking noise coming from the left front tire area.

Any ideas what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

tfeld
12-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Sounds like your CV joint is bad. I'd replace both sides since the other wouldn't be too far behind.

gregr56
12-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks Tfeld. Should the entire CV Drive Axle's be replaced or can you just replace the boots?

Thanks

Greg

RaeRae1
12-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks Tfeld. Should the entire CV Drive Axle's be replaced or can you just replace the boots?

Thanks

Greg

Depends on the condition of the CV joint. In some cases you can just replace the boot but you have to take the whole thing apart to do that anyway so I always find it better to just replace the entire thing. If you are doing it yourself sometimes it is acutally easier and not much more expensive to just replace the entire half shaft. Either way, I would consider replacing the joint and not just the boot if you already have to tear into it.

tfeld
01-02-2008, 06:09 AM

Thanks

Greg
The boot itself may or may not be bad, but should be replaced. What needs replacing however is the actual CV joint that's on the axle shaft; it should have a new boot on it.

Add your comment to this topic!