Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Received a compressor from Santa but.......

Enzoenvy1
12-27-2007, 10:43 AM
...is this thing what I need and should I keep it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bluej/silver_hardware.jpg

My Mother, bless her, always is trying to make me happy. Well my better half told her I needed a compressor so she went out and just bought one from Hobby Lobby. What she purchased was an Iwata Silver Jet (http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/silver_info.jsp). Now I know some about the compressors as I almost bought a Scorpion from Hobby Town. I even almost bought a couple of different ones from Hobby Lobby. But this one I have never heard of before.

Working pressure adjustable from 10-18 psi
Perfect for: Cosmetics, tanning, Hobbies/Models, Fingernail painting, General airbrushing, Bakery.

Includes: Pistol grip Filter, and coiled airhose.

I am just thrilled I can do bakery projects with this thing!

Now the stats on the box:
Air flow - .33cfm
RPM - 2600
Weight - 6.3 lbs
Size - 6x6x6 in
Max pressure - 40 psi
Volts - 115v/60 hz
Watt - 130W

So, here is where I need your help. What on earth do I do here? This thing looks like I should be opening up a salon next week and painting women's nails. Is this worth keeping? If you looked at the link and the specs it doesn't seem rated too well for hobbies. But at $170 it should be a pretty damn nice compressor. As it also is an Iwata it should be a great compressor.

If you remember I received a Badger 150-07 Professional in June for my birthday. I kept that after learning from you all about it. But as it is not an Iwata will it work fine?

Please let me know what you all think. I love the fact she even cared enough to get me this but before I use it I want to make sure I have what will be durable and is what I need to last for a long time.

Joe Blyth
12-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Based on the numbers you gave us, it should be OK for what we need. I personally don't usually go above 20 psi when I spray, so you're covered there.

I do know that your compressor will work with your Badger airbrush, just make sure you have the proper fittings and you'll be fine. I use a Paasche compressor with my Iwata 'brush.

Hopefully someone can provide more insight on this compressor.

Enzoenvy1
12-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Hopefully someone can provide more insight on this compressor.

Thanks for the reply Joe. Seems that this gets asked all of the time, but not this actual compressor. Since nobody else has responded in 2 hours I have spent that time searching all of the forums. It appears that I would be better off with a 2-3 gallon one where I can add a regulator and a water trap.

But since no responses have been given about this particular compressor I still need advice.

So respond people, lol.

no_tofu_speed
12-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Kakakaka.. thats gold!
Mayb ur mum and wife are conspiring against u 2 b their beauty salon slave lol.
Jus jkin mate... she prolly had the best of intentions.
Its got a cool name and looks good...~!!!

MPWR
12-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Mayb ur mum and wife are conspiring against u 2 b their beauty salon slave lol.
Jus jkin mate... she prolly had the best of intentions.

Whoa, can the AIMspeak, mate. Only normal English here. :nono:

Why is it only Aussies lately that we're having kiddiespeak from...? :dunno:

As for the compressor, a Badger 150 shouldn't have any different performance requirements than an Iwata. On the other hand, I do push 25psi sometimes when spraying acrylics. Perhaps nail spraying is done mostly with very thinned lacquers? :dunno: I spray auto lacquers between 15-18, and acrylics between 20-25. 25 will also do 'special effects', like textured primer for crinkle/cast surfaces.

You don't really need a 2 gallon tank for an airbrush compressor. If you're not running other airtools from the compressor also, a standard tankless Badger or Paasche diaphragm compressor will meet your needs for ever and ever. But you're right, you'll want a watertrap/regulator on it.

Looking forward to seeing the baking projects! :grinyes:

mikemechanic
12-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Jon, there is good money in doing nails and the stories I heard about you.....j/k.

Get a compressor with a tank on it, trust me. I've been in the middle of spraying and had the compressor overheat and quit. Not saying that that one will do that but it could be a possibility. I have a Delta brand one that they use for the brad nailers and it works perfrect, always have some air in the tank and don';t have the constant groan of the compressor at my feet.

What the hell do the airbrush at the bakery? Gonna have to look a little closer next time.

Mike

Enzoenvy1
12-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Mock if you will, I see a future in nails for me!!! I can have Ferrari tips with SF logos, Porsche badges, Lambo bulls, and even little S7's!!!

Anyway, I read up more and kept it. Besides, I already primed and painted it Italian Red with a nice big Ferrari sticker to accentuate it. I will show you all later when I find my camera.

Enzoenvy1
12-28-2007, 11:26 AM
This is what I did to it last night!!!! Looks pretty damn good now to me!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bluej/FerrariCompressor003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bluej/FerrariCompressor001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/bluej/FerrariCompressor002.jpg

no_tofu_speed
12-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Ugh, sorry MPWR I slipped up again haha.

Wow...... that does look good!

klutz_100
12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
he he! That looks cool! Nice idea :thumbsup:

sjelic
12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Now we are talking :D:D

That is seriously good looking thing, I would keep even if it doesn't "blow" perfectly good :D

quadzero
12-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Now we are talking :D:D

That is seriously good looking thing, I would keep even if it doesn't "blow" perfectly good :D
Wow, that looks cool now. There actually is money in painting nails and airbrushing cakes thou, just in case you need a little distraction and help pay for new models.

Add your comment to this topic!