Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Automatic transmission filter change.

HV2JEEP
12-27-2007, 05:46 AM
I have a 01 dodge ram 2500 v10 with 127k on it. I just got it and Im not sure if the transmission filter or fluid has ever been changed. I am debating changing them. The transmission works ok but I think it could be better. It shifts smoothly and doesn’t slip. So what is everyone opinion and why? I have been asking around and it sounds like no one can agree on weather you should change an automatic transmission filter.

t-bank
12-27-2007, 08:17 AM
If you don't know the service history of the truck then it's a no brainer. Change the fluid & filter! It's simple, proactive, preventative maintenance.

T-bank

HV2JEEP
12-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I’ve herd that if a filter change hasn’t been done ever you shouldn’t change it. Because when you do change it you will stir up debris that will clog the narrow passages of the transmission and cause it to break. Is this false information?

Chris Stewart
12-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Yep, I classify that as bad information.

Chris Stewart
12-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Yep, I classify that as bad information. If the filter is in place, where is the debris coming from?

WHATDIDYOUBREAKNOW
12-27-2007, 10:42 PM
don't fall for a ..suck it out the dipstik treatment...have someone actually pull the pan and change the filter..it's easy to do yourself..that way you know its done

rockwood84
12-29-2007, 12:19 PM
and you should also have the bands adjusted by some one that knows what they are doing. you can change the fluid and filter but not everyone can adjust the bands correctly.

ortega818
02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I’ve herd that if a filter change hasn’t been done ever you shouldn’t change it. Because when you do change it you will stir up debris that will clog the narrow passages of the transmission and cause it to break. Is this false information?

i think this is true for flushes, i've talked about this with mechanics at each dealer ive worked at..

wafrederick
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
That is true for flushes and not for fluid and filter changes.I know a transmission shop that loves doing valve body cleanings and rebuilds because of a flush with the machine.There is a much easier flush and better than the machine,a line flush.Remove the bottom line and point it to a bucket or pan.Start pouring fluid in while it is running and make sure you do not run the transmission dry.Stop when it is clear and put the bottom line back in.Do this check if doing the line flush,make sure the check ball is out of the bottom line and it is the rubber hose part.It is a nylon checkball,white in color and remove that checkball by drilling it out or force it out with a long #2 phillips screwdriver.A spring should fly out too.The problem with that checkball is that it melts and plugs that bottom line right up resulting in a burned up transmission.Change the fluid and fliter is the best thing to do to an automatic transmission.

rockwood84
02-11-2008, 04:49 AM
if you don't ever change the filter and the filter stops up what do you think is gonna happen to the trans.if you don't keep the bands adjusted as they are supposed to be the they start slipping prematurely then your looking at a rebuild sooner than supposed to have been.i had a trans tech for chrysler tell me a long time ago that if the bands and filter were done at the intervals listed in the owners manual that the trans would actually outlast the motor. but people rarely follow the maintanance intervals for a trans and this is the main reason they go out so fast.

Chris Stewart
02-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I believe that.
I had an '86 Cutlass that the 1st motor let go kinda early but the trans held good for the 2nd motor and would still give you a firm change when it locked up the converter. It's still in service with in my nephew's driveway.

Add your comment to this topic!