Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

white smoke coming from intake manifold?

s2pidluv4u
12-26-2007, 09:10 PM
hi i got a 1995 3kgt base automatic and i have this problem, sometimes when ever i start my engine or give it a rev white smoke starts coming out from the back of the intake manifold, this only occurs ONCE IN A WHILE what is the cause of this? i am not losing oil, do u think my intake gasket needs changing? thanks a lot

VR43000GT
12-26-2007, 09:34 PM
It is coming from your intake manifold? Sounds like antifreeze is leaking. Is there a possibility it is coming from your rear valve cover?

Polygon
12-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Is it steam or smoke and are you sure it's coming from the intake?

Burning oil is blue, and fuel is black. Can you smell it?

s2pidluv4u
12-27-2007, 12:05 AM
well its white smoke, smells like smoke cant realli explain it, but ummmmm it is white smoke, it only happens sometimes when i rev it, or when i start the car but it doesnt happen all the time what do u think u guys

s2pidluv4u
12-27-2007, 12:06 AM
yes the smoke is coming from behind the intake manifold!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s2pidluv4u
12-27-2007, 12:08 AM
i think its steam? cuz when i close the hood the smoke goes out from the left hood opening and also tires?

Twizted_3KGT
12-27-2007, 06:17 AM
i think its steam? cuz when i close the hood the smoke goes out from the left hood opening and also tires?

Steam is for locomotives, not your engine. It could be a number of things, can you see EXACTLY where its coming from? Pic?

Polygon
12-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Steam is for locomotives, not your engine. It could be a number of things, can you see EXACTLY where its coming from? Pic?

Burning coolant = steam.

If it's coolant it should have a somewhat sweet smell but be careful that stuff can really give you a bad time if you try to inhale a lot of it. If it's coming from behind your intake the I would assume it's a head gasket.Has you noticed a loss in performance? You can do a compression test. That will give you a good start. If it's smoke that is entirely different. Then I would guess you have and oil leak. I would start by looking at the valve cover gasket. Under load it could be pushing oil out which is getting on the rear exhaust manifold and burning off.

molozo
12-31-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi,
I had a similar problem on my Stealth - the waterpump was leaking onto the engine block (into the 'V' of the V6) and the coolant was evaporating due to the heat of the engine - smoke came out from under the left side of the hood. The steam was coming from below the intake manifold which sits on top of the 'V'. I had to get my waterpump replaced (which is on the left - driver side - of the engine) which requires the intake manifold to be removed.... You can't really diagnose this unless you remove the manifold though. Mine started off with the occasional white steam but ended up with lots of steam when the pump seriously started to leak. Hope this help...

blu3kgt
12-31-2007, 01:56 PM
smoke used to come out like that on my sohc behind the intake, and it turned out to be my cam seals because oil would leak on to the exhaust manifold...but you say your not losing any oil, so this would not apply.... check if your losing antifreeze

Add your comment to this topic!