01 Dodge Tranny Problem

Brent87
12-25-2007, 02:56 PM
I have a 01 Ram that will not go into reverse. It is 4x4 and I have all of my forward gears working fine. Fluid is clean and doesn't smell burnt and it has 78,000 miles on the truck. It just happened all of a sudden. Pulled into a drive and couldn't back out. If you have any suggestions it would be very helpful.

Thanks
Brent

wafrederick
12-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds like something is broke for the reverse side and the transmission has to come out for a repair.

mico17
12-28-2007, 01:05 PM
I know a boddy that can fix any tranny probb in the world but he lives in Ely MN sorry to get on this page but I do not know how to post my own probem
I have a dodge truck That displays P1491 I need to know what to do:runaround:

Brent87
01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
ok well here is another question. How do you tighten the reverse bands? I am thinking about switching the rely switches for the trany and seeing what happens but i would also like to know how to tighten the bands.

Taylor44
01-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Mico17 ... Your problem is that you have a fuse blown.. it should be #39 in your fuse box.

I had the exact same problem on my 02 RAM.. I was told it was the condenser fan and the dealer wanted over $400 to replace the fan... I said hold up on that repair.. I'll replace it myself... Bought a new fan, plugged it in before installing, still didn't work. It ended up being a 15 cent fuse and not a $400 fix!! Needless to say I'm done with that dealer...
Anyway, I ended up finding out the problem is actually with the shroud around the fan. In the winter if it gets any water in the shroud it will freeze and lock the fan, thus blowing the fuse. You can either buy a redesigned $200 fan and shroud, or simply drill drain holes in your shroud so water will drain out.... thought it was worth a post!

Moser97
01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
I would get someone who doesn't rebuild transmissions for a living to drop the pan and look around. If you have no codes showing you probably have something loose inside. Not every trans failure costs $2000 to fix. I don't think you have a band or relay issue, failed electrics would throw a code. Band adjustments are pretty simple. Google "dodge ram transmission band adjustment".

Add your comment to this topic!