Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1996 SL500- Top/Rollbar buttons Stay Lit(red) After Dead-battery Jumpstart

Hesam
12-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Can someone please tell me what could be wrong when initially my top unlocked/locked and softtop worked fine, then when battery went dead overnight and I jumpstarted the car the top-button and roll-bar button stay lit(red) and they don't work. I moved nothing related to the tops and top worked before battery died.
Should something get re-set to get the buttons working as radio and windows do in this car after battery disconnects?

claytonbay
07-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello, i hope you still check this site. I just had the same problem with my 96 SL500 and tried to find out whats wrong, luckly i found your post. the only problem i have is, im in Japan and the dealers here want my arm -n- leg just to reset the codes. Do you have any advise? Is the diagnostic the only answer?

Hesam
07-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Hello, i hope you still check this site. I just had the same problem with my 96 SL500 and tried to find out whats wrong, luckly i found your post. the only problem i have is, im in Japan and the dealers here want my arm -n- leg just to reset the codes. Do you have any advise? Is the diagnostic the only answer?

I had mine fixed almost a year and half ago.
All I did was to take it to a nice mechanic who had the Mercedes Diagnostic computer, he connected his laptop computer to the car's computer which is in front of front passenger under the hood then he RE-SET all Fault-codes.
After he re-set everything and cleared the codes, the top buttons got back to normal and started to work. He didn't charge me and it took only 5minutes.
If your car battery ever needed jump-start make sure the switch is OFF then disconnect the battery, then charge the battery while it's separate from car's computer, then re-connect the battery and start.
Do not jump-start the Mercedes with another car, it messes up the computer. This car's computer is like airplane computer, too sensitive.
Good Luck
Hesam(from Iran)

eclass
07-31-2009, 09:10 AM
reset your window memory, first hold the window switch (in the halfway down position, not all the way down) to roll down the window, wait 3-4 seconds then roll it up the same way. perform this to both windows.

if the memory of the windows is not learned the top will not work. if it still does not work- sorry it is scan tool time.

Add your comment to this topic!