Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transfering decals from one car to another

deltableh
12-24-2007, 06:52 PM
I have a stripe decal on an old Ferrari I never finished, and I was wondering if it were possible to transfer it to a new Ferrari I'm about to start working on. If I soak the old body in water, will it float off? It's not under clear or anything.

Thanks for your help; I didn't see anything in the FAQs about it.

freakray
12-24-2007, 07:02 PM
You are correct in assuming the decal will lift off if you soak the model in water. Unfortunately the adhesive is what will be dissolved in the water allowing it to lift off.

Assuming the decal comes off in one piece, you still have the challenge of transferring it to the new model in one piece and then somehow attaching it.

Rule of thumb on this really is there is no way to reuse a decal.

935k3
12-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Wet the decal with very hot water,keeping it wet is key. Then get it started a ta corner with a sharp blade, then get the water under the lifted edge and slowly work it loose and lift with tweezers. The best thing to do now is too lay it on some decal paper that has had the decal removed(or wax paper), wet the paper and apply some white(PVA) glue like Micro Krystal Klear, wet the decal and get the glue on the back of it and apply to new location. I have successfully moved misplaced decals a day after they were applied. Some brands of decals may be more stubborn.

freakray
12-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Wet the decal with very hot water,keeping it wet is key. Then get it started a ta corner with a sharp blade, then get the water under the lifted edge and slowly work it loose and lift with tweezers. The best thing to do now is too lay it on some decal paper that has had the decal removed(or wax paper), wet the paper and apply some white(PVA) glue like Micro Krystal Klear, wet the decal and get the glue on the back of it and apply to new location. I have successfully moved misplaced decals a day after they were applied. Some brands of decals may be more stubborn.

This is great info :bigthumb:

deltableh
12-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Thanks 935! I'll have to try that soon... just gotta paint the F430 first!

Add your comment to this topic!