Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lurching engine when slowing down

Goldfishy
02-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Hi, I'm new here. When I come to a stop, the engine seems to "lurch" forward and when going forward, you can hear a "click" in the front. You can feel the engine was rocking.

So I replaced the rear engine mount, which was broken (rubber dried out and cracked) due to the high mileage (over 200,000 on a 89' RS, but runs great otherwise and no oil burning). Wow, what a difference, no more rocking. Then, it started again (a few days later), but not as bad of a "lurch". So I replaced the left front mount, found out it was also cracked. That worked fine for about 2 days.

But now, when slowing down again, the "lurch" is there, and it seems the engine or tranny drops in rpm's causing the lurch, but still not as bad as before, just annoying. I know there's one other mount on the right side, but the mechanic feels that's not the cause and was seen as okay, tho' it's the original one. If that's the case, what other problem would cause the "lurch"? All new parts used were from the Acura dealership (comes with a 1 yr. full warranty).

EDIT: well, decided to replace the tranny mount also. so now ALL three mounts are brand new. BUT guess WHAT?? it STILL LURCHS, when the car is slowing down to a near stop. you can hear the engine slowing down and then, comes the lurch. the mechanic says it will not go away, and it's a part of the car's character. i trust my mechanic. but what else could this be??

Add your comment to this topic!