Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

WHY STICKY AFTER SPRAYED TS50

joecwlaw
02-10-2003, 09:24 PM
guys, this is my first time using the TS50. I sprayed on the Subaru WRC chassis without any primer. First I sprayed a very light coat, then I sprayed 2nd and 3rd time a small bit heavier. It covers very well. But after 1 day of drying, the surface is still very sticky......

I have similar problem with Tamiya TS13 as well before......I dont understand, what is the problem? is that coz' I did not shake it well? or other issue?

:confused: :confused:

Jay!
02-10-2003, 09:29 PM
What are your weather conditions? Where did you let it dry?

Vyacheslav
02-10-2003, 09:33 PM
Any paint is about to be sticky after 1 day of drying. Give it atleast 3 dasy

joecwlaw
02-10-2003, 09:35 PM
I put it in a plastic box with cover, and put a toothpick to absorb the moisture...

:( :confused:

Vyacheslav
02-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by joecwlaw
I put it in a plastic box with cover, and put a toothpick to absorb the moisture...

:( :confused:
the box should have ventilation, so the air can get inside of it.

Mainomega
02-10-2003, 09:41 PM
I left a model to dry for about 20 hours, touched it with my finger and felt smooth and dry, so i put it in a plastic bag. 3 days later i take it out only to find the top of the model had a small imperfection.

I though the model was dry but it wasn't the part where the car and the plastic meet had joined togehter and messed up my paint. From now on i spray it and i cover it usually with the same box the kit came in for 4 days. and then spray clear on it.

.porkchop.
02-10-2003, 09:57 PM
i find that paints air better in open environments....
i usually let me models dry in open areas..tamiya paints usually dry to touch in less than 2 hrs

Asmenoth
02-11-2003, 12:00 AM
I usually set my bodies on a self, under a clear box. I use Tamiya paints and have never had this problem. It's usually dry, and not sticky, after a day or two, but I usually do mess with it for about a week.

djmr2
02-11-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Vyacheslav
Any paint is about to be sticky after 1 day of drying. Give it atleast 3 dasy

wrong
lacquers i use a dry to touch within 1hr but not full cured
tamiya lacquers are pretty much dry to touch after a few hours

not all paints are the same

joe, u probably want to keep the paint ventiallated as the gas will still coming out of the paint.

joecwlaw
02-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by djmr2

wrong
lacquers i use a dry to touch within 1hr but not full cured
tamiya lacquers are pretty much dry to touch after a few hours

not all paints are the same

joe, u probably want to keep the paint ventiallated as the gas will still coming out of the paint.

thanks guys for your info. I think I will leave the cover a bit open and see.

BTW, I am wondering if I spray TS50 on the body, should I put clear before I put decals......if it is that sticky, once I place the decals on the ts50, I will not be able to fine-move the sticker to proper position.

djmr2
02-11-2003, 01:04 AM
joe

it's necessary to get the smoothest surface u can before u put the decals on, they'll stick better

so if u need to sand/polish the blue coat first, then put clear and then decals, then it's ok

make sure u put a clear over the decals after and polish it nicely..

TS-50 needs clear badly :)

joecwlaw
02-11-2003, 01:07 AM
thanks djmr2. I will start painting other parts tonight. Hope it all goes well.

flyonthewall
02-11-2003, 05:19 AM
I had the same problem when i used this spray. I always leave mine to dry for at least 1 week too, next to the hot water tank in the airing cupboard. It was still tacky many weeks later, after carefully adding the decals and trying my hardest not to leave fingerprints in the paint, the only solution was to give t a clear coat.

935k3
02-11-2003, 07:36 AM
I have had this problem with TS Sprays to. I airbrushed TS-49 on my Toyota GT-One and weeks later it still felt tacky and did not go a way until I put Future over it and the decals. I have never had the problem with the clear.

joecwlaw
02-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by 935k3
I have had this problem with TS Sprays to. I airbrushed TS-49 on my Toyota GT-One and weeks later it still felt tacky and did not go a way until I put Future over it and the decals. I have never had the problem with the clear.

sorry but what is Future? :confused:

935k3
02-11-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by joecwlaw

sorry but what is Future? :confused:

It's a liquid clear acrylic finish that can be sprayed or wiped on.

Asmenoth
02-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Future is a brand of floor wax you can buy at the grocery store.

daggerlee
02-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Asmenoth
Future is a brand of floor wax you can buy at the grocery store.

It's not exactly a wax, it's a clear acrylic finish like 935K3 said. One of the common misconceptions about Future, it's just an acrylic clearcoat with self levelling properties (which makes it able to be brushed on) :)

bah humbug
02-11-2003, 05:07 PM
This is really weird.:huh:

After I use Ts paints I touch it five minutes after and it's totally dry.

Not finger prints. :p

May be this happens because of the kind of wheather you spray in?

JDM Evo7
02-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by bah humbug
This is really weird.:huh:

After I use Ts paints I touch it five minutes after and it's totally dry.

Not finger prints. :p

May be this happens because of the kind of wheather you spray in?

I think it's because TS-50 is a metallic mica. I used TS-50 on a DC5 ITR I made. It took about 2 weeks to fully cure. I believe all metallic colors for Tamiya need to be clear coated.

Jay!
02-11-2003, 07:45 PM
Are you sure your hands aren't sticky? :eek:

:o

j/k ;)

joecwlaw
02-11-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
Are you sure your hands aren't sticky? :eek:

:o

j/k ;)

My hands aren't sticky. Mr. Color or Gunze does not have this problem......and I don't have sticky problem with TS30 silver leaf at all, so it sure not my hands problem, dude.

:zx11pisse :zx11pisse :zx11pisse :zx11pisse

Add your comment to this topic!