Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

G35 vs Skyline?

VR6punk
02-05-2003, 08:30 PM
So what's the deal with the Skyline? Is it the same car as the G35C? Check out this page:
http://www.nissan.co.jp/EN/LINEUP/lineup_32.html

What exactly is the same? Is it just the body? Is the engine the same? Is there a completely different Skyline in Japan other than the one pictured in that link?

I've heard parts are interchangeable..

The reason I ask - the Skyline is one of the fastest production cars in the world. Obviously there must be different versions of the Skyline.. just trying to figure out if my ride shares any heritage with this legend.

Thanks!

Paul

Gahiji
02-06-2003, 02:15 AM
Wow, I was under the impression that the new Skyline (R35) would have a similar chassis to the G35, but I had it was alrwady in use. Anyone wanna confirm?

VR6punk
02-06-2003, 12:54 PM
it looks like the chasis and the body may be the same, but is that all? i'm trying to find out if it shares any similar engine components.

nas4a
02-06-2003, 03:33 PM
As I understand it, the G35 and the basic Skyline are the same. Engine, everything. Japan HP will be listed at ~276 for legal reasons, but it's the same.

The Skyline GTR is the high performance twin turbo version. It looks different, has AWD, and that's the super-car. As of now, no plans to bring that state-side that I know of.

deadmaninc
02-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Is the 276hp you talking about on the coupe or Sedan?

nas4a
02-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Sorry...coupe. If I got the number correct, most every car in Japan has at the most 276 HP. There's some legal issue over there with high HP, so manufacturers just list HP at the max legal limit if it's over that. So basically, a Corvette over there would list as 276 HP, when in reality, it's much more. Of course, the G35 sedan's 260 HP would list as 260, since it's still below the legal limit. I don't know the in's and out's, but that's what I've read.

bk2kmax
02-12-2003, 05:26 PM
I guess I was under the impression that the Skyline used a flat six over in Japan as opposed to the V6 used in the G35 here is the US.
I thought that this was the reason a lot of Japanese owners over there got upset with the car supposedly to start using the V6.

I could be wrong though, I thought I read it somewhere in one of my many car magz.

Can someone confirm this?

I'll look through my magz to see if I can find that article.

skylinegtr34
02-13-2003, 02:00 AM
There are many different skylines. The Skyline is a family of cars. The G35 is the Base SKyline. Now the car you are talking about is the GTR which ended production in Japan in 2002. Now the GTR will make a come back but it is no longer a Skyline, it will just be called the GTR. The Infiniti G35/Skyline v35 are not the GTR.

Ill post a picture of the next generation GTR that will make its way to America. GTR 35

skylinegtr34
02-13-2003, 02:01 AM
rear view

skylinegtr34
02-13-2003, 02:04 AM
2002 SKyline GTR 34

nas4a
02-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by skylinegtr34
Ill post a picture of the next generation GTR that will make its way to America.

Do you have any sources to back that? I still have SERIOUS doubts that this car will ever see the states. (Unless you crate one and ship it over yourself)

Akisan2
02-24-2003, 06:42 PM
There are no official words for that, but I remember reading car and driver magazine that it will make it to here in US. And I think it will. Nissan isn't promising at this point, but I am pretty positive it will. The price I heard could be from anywhere around 70-80k car. Check out the nissan section...they discuss this in great detail.

GTR34V-specll
07-01-2003, 10:00 PM
well i hate to tell ya but the INFINITY G35 only shares the hp of the skyline. in actuality there 2 different cars. the GTR uses the RB26DETT in line 6. and the infinity uses a high reving high compression V6. there share nothing from the engine.

Akisan2
07-02-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by GTR34V-specll
well i hate to tell ya but the INFINITY G35 only shares the hp of the skyline. in actuality there 2 different cars. the GTR uses the RB26DETT in line 6. and the infinity uses a high reving high compression V6. there share nothing from the engine.

G35=11th gen skyline...you know that right?
GTR= the top grade skyline.
The new GTR vcoming on 2005 is going to have VQ35DETT, the RB26DETT is for now stopped production.
all new 11th gen skyline has VQ35DE and coupe has 280bhp, sedan has 260 bhp. As of now, no skyline has turbo until the new GTR comes out, but as for the 11th gen skyline, it shares the same platform(FMPF) as 350Z.

deadmaninc
07-02-2003, 09:25 PM
In Japan there is three engine types for the V35 Skyline G35. The base engine is a 2.5 I4 turbo which you can get in AWD in the sedan form only not sure about the hp, then comes the 3.0 liter version with like 225hp or something and then comes the 3.5 liter version which is as mentioned above. The turbo one I hear is popular in Japan because it a turbo and you can get in AWD. I wish we had the turbo one in America for like 4 thousand cheaper but comes with the same exact fit and finish as the 3.5 one. I would get that one and a nice tt setup on that. The Skyline V35 you can also get it with a differnt seats like racing style seats. It comes with a switch for sport mode or something and on the AWD verison it comes with a off road mode option from what i hear.

Akisan2
07-03-2003, 12:12 AM
oh well I was mentioning about the USA G35. Yes the japanese V35 comes with dealer option Body kits, Volk racing wheels, recaro seats I think....not fair:mad:

Jas_M
07-23-2003, 02:23 AM
Just a bit of info: The 276 hp 'limit' in Japan is not a legal issue or a law of any kind. That hp figure was settled upon as part of a gentlemanly agreement among Japanese manufacturers to avoid the horsepower wars and one-upmanship that you see among european and american manufacturers. For a perfect example, look no further than the hp battle being waged between MB and Audi.
Honda is rumored to be on the verge of breaking this "agreement" if they decide to put their Honda/Acura Dualnote hybrid into production: http://www.motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_01as_toky/index1.html#5
http://www.motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_02as_gen02/index8.html#3

bk2kmax
07-23-2003, 12:32 PM
There's some legal issue over there with high HP, so manufacturers just list HP at the max legal limit if it's over that.<quoted by Nas4a

There isn't a Legal Issue but there is what they refer to as a Gentleman's Agreement that no car will be rated above 276hp in Japan.

However we all know that many of the top cars come from over there with more than 276, ie, Supra, Z, Skylines, NSX.

thePreacher
07-23-2003, 10:46 PM
what im interested in is the engine model numbers, the dealer which sold us our sedan knew jack shit about the technicals and what not but i was wondering if someone can clarify me on this. So the North American G35 Sedan is rated 260hp while the coupe is 276hp. But both cars are listed as the same series engine VQ35DE ? my question would be whats the difference in hp between sedan and coupe, exhaust is the only thing i could think of since coupes have the dual exhaust set up while my is single straight through? My next question would be then, the skyline mentioned in this thread and posted first as the picture, is that the R35 ? or is it just branded as Skyline like the Lancer is branded without the Evolution in it at mitsubishi ?

and is that GTR concept car, is that a brand new evolution of the skyline ? or is that the TRUE r35 ?

blasian_man
07-23-2003, 10:53 PM
i dunno the reason behind the different hp ratings and the same engine, but its widely used. the altima 3.5 se, maxima, g35, fx35, and 350z all have that engine, i think, did i miss any?

Jas_M
07-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by bk2kmax
There's some legal issue over there with high HP, so manufacturers just list HP at the max legal limit if it's over that.
There isn't a Legal Issue but there is what they refer to as a Gentleman's Agreement that no car will be rated above 276hp in Japan.
Dude, didn't you read what i posted right above yours? There is no legal issue in Japan regarding the HP output of cars. There is no "legal limit" either. It's a gentleman's agreement between the Japanese manufacturers. That's it.
As you may or may not know, Japanese society is one that is highly based on honor among its people. As such, the companies decided to self-impose the 276 hp 'limit' to avoid having companies show up one another. As i said, the battle between MB and Audi is a perfect example of what the Japanese manufacturers were trying to avoid. Obviously, cars do come out of Japan that exceed that "limit", but their hp is still listed as 276 so as not to show up other marques.

deadmaninc
07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
You forgot the Quest, Murano, Pathfinder and QX4.

Add your comment to this topic!