Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turn signal Question

jalfaro
02-05-2003, 04:05 PM
I started up the car (95 Accord LX) this morning and my turn signals would not blink, even if I pushed the Hazard button. If I signaled left only the left side turned on but, no blinking and so on and so fourth. Even the dashboard signals lit up but the exterior lights did not blink.
I put my alarm in valet mode and the same thing happened. I turned off the car and still the same thing happened.
So I had no choice and went to work with no turn signals.
I went to the gas station filled up the tank and checked the oil. When I got on the freeway and by force of habit I put my turn signal on and all of a sudden they started blinking. I guess something unjamed when I close the hood.
I took the car to the dealer and they checked all the bulbs and all of them were fine. The only thing that was found was one of the sockets on the left side turn signal was craked and the bulb was loose.
Could that be the only problem? The Dealer mentioned something about a Multi-Plex unit but said that if that was going bat the problem would have be reproduced or something else would not work. They just told me to buy a new socket.
Is the entire turn signal system a closed curcuit? If one bulb goes out none of them work? Sort of like the Christmas lights that you buy at Sears? If the little red bulb isnīt installed none of the lights blink.

strodda
02-05-2003, 04:52 PM
im not sure about all years, but for my car theyre not. if a bulb goes out, it just makes the other blink twice as fast... thats a FREE rice mod baby:D

and yea, i'd just get a new socket

Keoki42003
02-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Yeah strodda same here i got a 90 and if a bulb goes out its just that bulb!

b16a3sol
02-06-2003, 05:02 PM
turn signal bulbs are wired in parallel, for that exact reason. that way if one goes out, you still have another, and a warning that one of them went out. the two sides are wired independent of each other, as far as i know, though. they do need to touch at some point, otherwise they wouldnt flash at the same time when the hazards are turned on. it could be the part the dealership told you about, but i would replace the socket as an easy solution to the problem. if it persists, look deeper like they told you.

Add your comment to this topic!