Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

So, how sick ARE you?

BWheel
02-02-2003, 04:09 PM
OK, while we're talking about the strange ways of modellers, here's a quick couple of questions.

1) How many kits have you currently got built?

2) How many unbuilt kits do you have?

3) What's your 'built/bought' ratio?

4) Do you only do cars, or loads of different types of model?

My answers:

1) 10 Kits built. A number of small figures too (Wargaming)

2) Around 100 kits, in different genres

3) Build about 1 kit for every 5-8 that I buy

4) Cars is the main at the moment, but fantasy/ sci-fi, military, trucks, figurines, bikes, helicopters, etc. (Pretty much whatever takes my fantasy)

My built kits are:
Alien with Egg (from movie Alien)
Gold X-Wing (Quick and dirty kit)
Stap - from Star Wars
Tie Fighter
Ferrari 310B
Porsche Boxster
HMMWV (Military Vehicle in small setting)
Wallace and Gromit Motorbike
Wallace and Gromit Airplane
Gundam/ Anime Figure (unpainted)
Number of Warhammer 40K figures from Games Workshop

Busy with Porsche GT-3 at the moment

supratuner
02-02-2003, 04:13 PM
1--- around 30

2---3

3---30/35

4---cars, some times i do model trains, but i dont do them that much any more

endlesskev86
02-02-2003, 04:16 PM
1) 3 kits

2) 6 kits

3) LOL... like for every kit i buy there is like 5 that hasnt been built yet!

4) only cars!

SirWelshy
02-02-2003, 04:22 PM
1/ 10
2/ 2 running out ;(
3/ was 7unmade to 4 made at one point
4/ cars, trucks, figures by the thousands (GamesWorkshop), darth's tie fighter(unbuilt)

Bimmerkid
02-02-2003, 04:47 PM
1) How many kits have you currently got built? 5.

2) How many unbuilt kits do you have? 2, a S2K waiting for SAS body kit, and a Mustang.

3) What's your 'built/bought' ratio? 5/7

4) Do you only do cars, or loads of different types of model? So far only cars.

supratuner
02-02-2003, 04:51 PM
this is officialy the thread for newbies!

Bimmerkid
02-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Erm, why?

.porkchop.
02-02-2003, 04:55 PM
1) approx 50, too lazy to count

2) 15

3) 6/10

4) just cars baybee.

BWheel
02-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Yeah, my thoughts the same.

I've been building models for ages. I moved to the UK 18 months ago, and didn't bring all of my built kits up (trashed some of the older ones, or left them in South Africa). In the last 4 years, I've built up around 100 unbuilt kits, that I want to build. I've got my eye on other kits. Some of them will never be built.

I know modellers that are 'Serious' modellers, who haven't built a kit in a couple of years. Some of them have over 3000 unbuilt kits. Some take ages to complete a single kit (esp Military modelling), etc. etc. Of course, I know some people that have been modelling for years, but are still 'newbies' in the kits they produce. I also know others that have been building for 6 months, and produce some amazing kits.

I was just gauging some idea of what people around here are like. Thanks for your answers. Interestingly enough, I would say you're a newbie with the number of kits you've done. Where would you peg yourself?

tonioseven
02-02-2003, 04:58 PM
I won't go into details but I have enough kits to last for the rest of the decade! Cars and 1 airplane. 15 built. I'm very sick!!:grey:

supratuner
02-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Bimmerkid
Erm, why?

almost every single person that has posted on here has less than 150 posts, not that posts matter

TheSyndicate
02-02-2003, 05:08 PM
Seriously, enough of these threads.

supratuner
02-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by TheSyndicate
Seriously, enough of these threads.

i agree!

BWheel
02-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Gee, nice to see the helpful guys around. If this isn't a discussion forum what is it then? Maybe we should have a seperate forum for the really excellent amazing guys who have a couple of hundred posts, so they aren't irritated by additional posts and topics?

I was interested in seeing what other modelers get up to. I used to work in the top hobby shop in South Africa, and it was more about chatting, and discussing what's been going on etc in the different areas of modelling, and people asking about techniques, than people coming and showing their pictures off.

I find a discussion forum that has a topic of a picture of a car, and everyone and their dog posting 'Gee, nice', 'cool paint', 'I wish I could paint like that' for about 200 posts pointless. I found this forum interesting, and engaging, a lot of discussion around different topics. However, it seems all the level 2-5 enthusiasts would rather just look at pictures... what's the gallery for then?

Yes, if the SAME question is asked every 5 minutes, it's irritating, but for the sake of the hobby, it's good to discuss and share experiences.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Let's get on with talking models now. And if you don't want to, you don't have to....

Thanks

supratuner
02-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by BWheel
Gee, nice to see the helpful guys around. If this isn't a discussion forum what is it then? Maybe we should have a seperate forum for the really excellent amazing guys who have a couple of hundred posts, so they aren't irritated by additional posts and topics?

I was interested in seeing what other modelers get up to. I used to work in the top hobby shop in South Africa, and it was more about chatting, and discussing what's been going on etc in the different areas of modelling, and people asking about techniques, than people coming and showing their pictures off.

I find a discussion forum that has a topic of a picture of a car, and everyone and their dog posting 'Gee, nice', 'cool paint', 'I wish I could paint like that' for about 200 posts pointless. I found this forum interesting, and engaging, a lot of discussion around different topics. However, it seems all the level 2-5 enthusiasts would rather just look at pictures... what's the gallery for then?

Yes, if the SAME question is asked every 5 minutes, it's irritating, but for the sake of the hobby, it's good to discuss and share experiences.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Let's get on with talking models now. And if you don't want to, you don't have to....

Thanks

ok i agree, just because you have 29 posts doesnt mean u cant build a model car, and just because you have 850 means you can build models pretty damn good

But what im saying is about every 3 days some one thats new to this forums, starts a thread just like this, i did it too

i wish their were more(progress threads) then just, whats your favorite kit, and o, i wish i had a fujimi ITR kit

endlesskev86
02-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by supratuner

almost every single person that has posted on here has less than 150 posts, not that posts matter

wtf kid........that so lame... i register to AF before u but i have less posts... does that make me a "newbie"

and arent u the dumbass that got flame in this thread
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81683&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

:finger: :finger: :flipa: :flipa:

freakray
02-02-2003, 07:30 PM
and arent u the dumbass that got flame in this thread

OWNED!!!

Vric
02-02-2003, 07:38 PM
1) How many kits have you currently got built?
near 30

2) How many unbuilt kits do you have?
none... buy an order of 5 kit is comming

3) What's your 'built/bought' ratio?
1/1

4) Do you only do cars, or loads of different types of model?
Car and Bike only

Vyacheslav
02-02-2003, 07:48 PM
1: One kit built.

2: Well if progress kits count, than i have 2 ubuilt kits.

3: 1\1

4: So far cars only.

freakray
02-02-2003, 08:18 PM
1 - 14

2 - 30

3 - 1/4

5 - Used to build military aircraft.....now only cars

Ghost_9418
02-02-2003, 08:24 PM
1. 7

2. 2

3. 7/9

4. cars

Integra14
02-02-2003, 08:36 PM
1) How many kits have you currently got built? 2

2) How many unbuilt kits do you have?5

3) What's your 'built/bought' ratio?3/5

4) Do you only do cars, or loads of different types of model? mostly cars, one Air plane once!

fullbloodchop01
02-02-2003, 08:45 PM
1)about 10
2) 3
3) 1-2
4) only done cars

Jay!
02-02-2003, 11:05 PM
1. cars:7 other: don't remember
2. cars: 17 (6 are in progress)
3. :huh: How in the world are you guys calculating this? No one's numbers add up the same way... :confused:
4. Used to do sci-fi; now just cars.
Originally posted by freakray
1 - 14
2 - 30
3 - 1/4
5 - Used to build military aircraft.....now only cars :confused: I can't find question 5! :o :cry:

Vyacheslav
02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
1. cars:7 other: don't remember
2. cars: 17 (6 are in progress)
3. :huh: How in the world are you guys calculating this? No one's numbers add up the same way... :confused:
4. Used to do sci-fi; now just cars.
:confused: I can't find question 5! :o :cry:
Well i buy one model, and build. so my build ratio is 1\1 simple as that silly :)

Purpura Delujo
02-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by supratuner

So why'd you bother saying that?

1) How many kits have you currently got built? Dont know, 9?

2) How many unbuilt kits do you have? 11

3) What's your 'built/bought' ratio? :huh: I can't remember, besides that needs maths, I'm not good at maths.

4) Do you only do cars, or loads of different types of model? Cars, I want to do a 1/32 scale F14 Tomcat though.

primera man
02-03-2003, 02:24 AM
1) How many kits have you currently got built? Around 90 built

2) How many unbuilt kits do you have? Around 30

3) What's your 'built/bought' ratio??????

4) Do you only do cars, or loads of different types of model? Built the odd bike

Add your comment to this topic!