Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mica Blue

clatescivicr
02-02-2003, 03:54 PM
I did a search and I couldn't find what I was looking for even though I could have sworn I read it here, but should I have a base coat when using Mica blue? light colored primer, base coat, and then the Mica Blue? Or is it fine using a light colored primer and going straight to Mica blue? Thanks inadvance.

daggerlee
02-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Use a white or silver primer, use the silver primer if you want the Subaru WRC Blue. Mica blue will grow gradually darker as you put more coats on.

clatescivicr
02-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks! I was curious about that. Can't wait to pick some up!

Originally posted by daggerlee
Use a white or silver primer, use the silver primer if you want the Subaru WRC Blue. Mica blue will grow gradually darker as you put more coats on.

supratuner
02-02-2003, 04:14 PM
i used Tamiya gray primer and then sprayed mica blue and it worked fine

freakray
02-02-2003, 06:14 PM
i used Tamiya gray primer and then sprayed mica blue and it worked fine

Yeah, it worked fine, but your mica blue came out darker due to the grey primer. Do the same with white primer and compare and you will understand what we are talking about.
White primer will keep the mica blue bright, grey primer will darken it, the color you use underneath the paint effects the final color

chaos
02-03-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by freakray

Yeah, it worked fine, but your mica blue came out darker due to the grey primer. Do the same with white primer and compare and you will understand what we are talking about.
White primer will keep the mica blue bright, grey primer will darken it, the color you use underneath the paint effects the final color

Just wondering - I picked up some automotive plastic primer as I want to give automotive paints a shot. The primer is clear...if I spray a light colour over this (like white) - would this work??

hrmodeler
02-03-2003, 03:16 AM
I put silver color as primer, as some members recomend me, and it works fine for me.

Murco
02-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by chaos

The primer is clear...if I spray a light colour over this (like white) - would this work??
Who makes clear primer?? I've never heard of such a thing!!:bloated:

freakray
02-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Who makes clear primer?? I've never heard of such a thing

Good question.
I can't see a clear primer being any good, since the whole idea of primer is to cover the mold color of the plastic so that you have a completely neutral base to start from, depending on the color you are going to spray and what effect you want obviously.

Ray

ales
02-03-2003, 12:06 PM
For example, Duplicolor makes clear primer. I find it useless as it doesn't have any filling properties whatsoever.

daggerlee
02-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Maybe they just want to find new ways of selling "Flat clearcoat". ;)

Add your comment to this topic!