Page updated on 10-22-2017

What determines OOP?

clatescivicr
02-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering what determines an out of print model? How often do cars go OOP? I'm curious because I want the civic, but then I was thinking are the Fujimi Integ's going to go OOP anytime soon? I'm thinking of selling a few but I don't them to go OOP soon and then I have to pay 3 times the price!! I'm sure other people are curious how cars go out of print also. Thank you inadvance!

ChopinPorkChop
02-01-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm sure other people are curious how cars go out of print also
lol dont worry they wont hassle you for asking a good question

clatescivicr
02-01-2003, 04:45 PM
Yeah, but I forgot to search :X, but I'm more concerned about the Fujimi Integra DC2 and the Fujimi Mugen Integra DC2.

ChopinPorkChop
02-01-2003, 04:48 PM
forgot to search? then who made your sig? :rolleyes:

freakray
02-01-2003, 04:50 PM
What determines when a car goes out of print?
I don't know....but I have a decent idea of what makes it go out or production.....
Most manufacturers only have so many molding machines, so if they are going to produce a new kit, one of the older kits has to have production of it stopped.
Kits will also go out of production when the demand for them has dwindled enough that it is no longer viable to manufacture the kit, since it cost money to produce.
BTW, when kits go out of production, I would imagine the instructions would go out of print;)

Ray

ChopinPorkChop
02-01-2003, 04:52 PM
i want to work at a model manufacturing company!!! id steal a bunch!!! woohoo

daggerlee
02-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Kits are produced several thousand at once, not continually every day. A kit becomes OOP when it hasn't had one of these runs for quite a while, whether it is because of poor sales, or maybe the molds got lost, or maybe licensing issues cropped up, who knows?

Murco
02-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by freakray
What determines when a car goes out of print?
I don't know....but I have a decent idea of what makes it go out or production.....

BTW, when kits go out of production, I would imagine the instructions would go out of print;)

Ray
Oh, that's just mean!!:finger:
Often, a kit's molds will were out after a few thousand models have been popped-out of it. When a kit has lots of sink marks, flash, or some graining the mold needs servicing or retirement. Molds cost about $250K - $500K to make so manufacturers won't drop a kit until the sales have at least recovered the costs. Some manufacturers have been known to over-extend the life of molds so always try to buy "first-run" (early) kits.

Add your comment to this topic!