Page updated on 10-23-2017

Looking to get started in Rally modeling..

Bimmerkid
01-31-2003, 04:01 PM
Anyone have a suggestion to what the first kit should be? I'm thinking a Pug, the Subbies have the thing with the "Mica Blue" Where if you spray it on too light or too dark, it's a different color..

RallyRaider
01-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Any of the recent Tamiya kits would be a good place to start. Perhaps something with a simple paintjob like the Corolla, depends on your existing skills and confidence, if you've built plenty of racing cars before there shouldn't be any trouble with the decals and such. The Pugs are good too, the 1999 version is a knockout livery but you'll need to know what you are doing to get the decals looking A-1.

The Mica Blue on the Scoobies isn't too bad. I think the key is to use a base silver coat first.

Welcome to the world of WRC models. Be careful or you'll end up buying all the alternate decals, detail sets and resin/metal kits too!

Vric
01-31-2003, 04:44 PM
NO !! wait for the corolla

Start With Subaru or Peugeot.. I sarted modeling with those 2 kit 1 year ago..

For the Corolla, get some skill with other kit, then take the Hasegawa Corolla.. WAY better than Tamiya one !

LauBak
01-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Sometime I don't really think the Corolla is that simple, especially for the real bumper decal and tail lamp.

And becareful to Tamiya's florescent yellow decal in Subarus. They crack very easily.

For mica blue I will paint them by numbers of thin layers. This ensure I don't over paint.

Vric
01-31-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by LauBak

And becareful to Tamiya's florescent yellow decal in Subarus. They crack very easily.

True... but can be easily fixed with time...

Anyway I just ordered 2 new Subaru :rolleyes: I think i'm addict

RallyRaider
01-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Okay, it seems everybody is aginst me... don't do the Corolla first :lol2: I mentioned it as a first rally kit because it was the first one I ever built and I thought it tuned out well. I guess the wrap-around decals on the bumper can be a bit of a pain and the tail lights are somewhat complicated to paint. But a bit of care and patience should result in a stunning model.

Of course recent converts to WRC probably won't be inteseted in a Toyota since they are not in the series anymore.

What about the New Evo VII kit, haven't put one together yet it but looks like an excellent build. Oh wait... Mitsubishi aren't competing this year either :p

Vric
01-31-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by RallyRaider
Okay, it seems everybody is aginst me... don't do the Corolla first :lol2: I mentioned it as a first rally kit because it was the first one I ever built and I thought it tuned out well. I guess the wrap-around decals on the bumper can be a bit of a pain and the tail lights are somewhat complicated to paint. But a bit of care and patience should result in a stunning model.

That's not the point... What I sayd is for the same price, you can get the Hasegawa version Of Corolla.. This kit is Way better, but harder.. here is why I say don't make the tamiya Corolla first (dont make it at all)

you can find Hasegawa Kit there :
http://www.modelexpress.net

They are cheaper than HLJ !

RallyRaider
01-31-2003, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't say the Hasegawa kit is way better. It certinly has some plus points over the Tamiya kit. While the reverse is also true. The prefered course of action is to kit bash the two together using the best parts of each. Which is exactly what I did :D

Add your comment to this topic!