Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to become a good modeler...

tonioseven
01-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Ask questions
Read the FAQ
Try new ideas or old ones that seem interesting
Practice painting instead of getting others to paint for you (where's the sense of accomplishment in THAT?!)
Practice without being afraid of messing up; it goes with the territory!
Ask more questions!
Practice some more!
Do research (magazines, AF, AF, AF, books, the web, etc.)
Practice some more!
I don't necessarily think I'm a good modeler but I'm not afraid to try anything that will make me better so if I learn something, then I think that's cool. If you want to get someone else to build your models, cool but don't mess the hobby up by presenting something as something you built but you really didn't. Happy modelling:grey:
Management does not necessarily endorse the above-stated opinion.

supratuner
01-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by tonioseven
Ask questions
Read the FAQ
Try new ideas or old ones that seem interesting
Practice painting instead of getting others to paint for you (where's the sense of accomplishment in THAT?!)
Practice without being afraid of messing up; it goes with the territory!
Ask more questions!
Practice some more!
Do research (magazines, AF, AF, AF, books, the web, etc.)
Practice some more!
I don't necessarily think I'm a good modeler but I'm not afraid to try anything that will make me better so if I learn something, then I think that's cool. If you want to get someone else to build your models, cool but don't mess the hobby up by presenting something as something you built but you really didn't. Happy modelling:grey:
Management does not necessarily endorse the above-stated opinion.

or they could try not to post stupid thread like these!

j/k:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

tonioseven
01-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by supratuner

or they could try not to post stupid thread like these!

j/k:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: Thank you Joey, I guess I kinda hit close to home huh?!;)

flyonthewall
01-29-2003, 07:54 PM
Be patient - If your not a patient person then learn, its absolutely key to the hobby!
Dont cut corners, you won't be satisfied with the result.

integra818
01-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Build a car YOU like, not a car you think others will like.

freakray
01-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Spend more time at your workbench and less time on AF asking irrelevant questions......

Neige
01-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by integra818

i dunno how that would make u a good modeler, if ur making models that u like but you're still fuckin up on it, it doesnt really help now does it? i mean i'm making models that I like, but am i a good modeler?!? lol i dont think so...

TheSyndicate
01-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by freakray
Spend more time at your workbench and less time on AF asking irrelevant questions......

worD.

integra818
01-29-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Neige

i dunno how that would make u a good modeler, if ur making models that u like but you're still fuckin up on it, it doesnt really help now does it? i mean i'm making models that I like, but am i a good modeler?!? lol i dont think so...

Doing this, would make you appriciate your own style and make you look forward to making the next model.

If you don't like body kits and others do, and you proceed to make a body kit that you don't like, then, you're not gonna have fun. And if you dont have fun, you'll probably mess something up. You understand now? ;)

Camber
01-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Never Glue your wheels to the wheel wells, Never Glue your wheelsto the wheel wells, never Glue your wheels to the wheel wells!

endlesskev86
01-29-2003, 08:50 PM
dun do anything stupid like not priming your car and wasting two cans of paint on it which result in a very very thick coat! thick enough u cant even c any panel lines ....lol:rolleyes:

i learned the hard way , but i will never make the same mistake again!:D

daggerlee
01-29-2003, 09:06 PM
It's like playing a sport, you can analyze and theorize all you want, but when it comes down to it it's the actual experience of modeling that will make you the better modeler :)

freakray
01-29-2003, 10:26 PM
it's the actual experience of modeling that will make you the better modeler

*leaves to go build another model*

Suislide
01-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Thank you Joey, I guess I kinda hit close to home huh?!;)

:hehehe: :hehehe:

i will second everything he says, along with the "take your time" bit and ESPECIALLY the FAQ bit. seems we have alot of n00bs (not pointing fingers) that deem themselves too good to read the FAQ and instead make threads asking questions that could have easily been answered had they taken the time to read the FAQ.

freakray
01-29-2003, 10:33 PM
seems we have alot of n00bs (not pointing fingers) that deem themselves too good to read the FAQ and instead make threads asking questions that could have easily been answered had they taken the time to read the FAQ.

Amen Brother!!:ylsuper

clatescivicr
01-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by freakray

Amen Brother!!:ylsuper

Murco
01-29-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by integra818
Let's expand on this.... Don't post threads asking people what color, model, or options you should put on your model!! Don't be so wimpy or insecure about your tastes, and quit acting like some whiny woman asking about her hair or dresses!!
:licker:

primera man
01-30-2003, 04:31 AM
It's better to ask a stupid question then to make a stupid mistake

hrmodeler
01-30-2003, 04:54 AM
Never be affraid or be shame to ask what you don't know. You always can learn something. BUT first try to read FAQ here on AF.

But most important thing is expirience, nothing can eplace it.

Jay!
01-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Share what you learn...

"I tried this and it worked well because..."
"I used that and I didn't like how it turned out because..."

:sun:

Dorikin
01-30-2003, 03:20 PM
DONT HIJACK THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!11

Suislide
01-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Dorikin
DONT HIJACK THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!11

that might make you well liked on here, but i don't see how it'll make you a better modeller....

tonioseven
01-30-2003, 05:11 PM
Be prepared to accept criticism if you ask people for their opinions; The truth is better than a lie to keep you from progressing.

Rest assured that if YOU like it, somebody else will as well, even though you should only be concerned with whether or not you're happy with your creation.

Don't be afraid to try something new; it's only plastic!!! Have fun with it!
fun is the main purpose for a lot of people; that and relaxation.:grey:

Colov99
01-30-2003, 05:17 PM
experiment, screw up, experiment again, practice, screw up, and practice some more. and have paitence...
also never paint a dodge viper rt-10 in bright pink paint.
:alien: :rolleyes:

Camber
01-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Don't waste the money spent on an investment not asking a question because your afraid to! I've done it b4, and it sucks!

bibendumz
01-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Let's expand on this.... Don't post threads asking people what color, model, or options you should put on your model!! Don't be so wimpy or insecure about your tastes, and quit acting like some whiny woman asking about her hair or dresses!!

i can think of a few in AF who do that...:D

tazdev
01-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by flyonthewall
Be patient - If your not a patient person then learn, its absolutely key to the hobby!
Dont cut corners, you won't be satisfied with the result.

I was going to say the same thing. PATIENTS is the key. If you rush you will make mistakes (I know I have been there).

Also take high res digital photos and view them on computer, I have spotted more fault with my models doing this than looking straight at the model:eek:

tonioseven
01-31-2003, 03:20 PM
When asking for criticism, realize that your perception of your model can be different from other people's view of your model.:grey:

tonioseven
02-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Read the F.A.Q.!!! Then read it again!!! :grey:

Purpura Delujo
02-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Make sure your dad did models when he was a young `un, so he can help you out when you start.

Bimmerkid
02-07-2003, 09:06 PM

I can relate to that. A friend of mine has asked me to spray-paint some of his things (Not always models) the metallic blue I used for my Z. It gets annoying.

tonioseven
05-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Read the FAQ!!!:)

freakray
05-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Read the FAQ!!!:)

That doesn't mean glance over the topics listed in the FAQ, actually read the advice, tips and tricks.

Too many questions are being asked in the forum which are all covered in the FAQ.

Oh, and when you have read the FAQ, read it again to make certain you understand what you are reading.

TheSyndicate
05-08-2003, 10:43 PM
To become a good modeler, one must effectively communicate his/her ideas to the forum. Asking questions is fine, but when you ask them in a incomprehensible way, it can be frustrating. Not to mention reading so much "man dys model is kool for how much cna yuo buy them? i ned dose wheels wat paint that is", can affect your(read: MY) daily life.

I've seen non-english speaking members on here make more sense than some of these kids.

Perhaps I just have a big problem with newbies? Not at all. A newbie can represent himself in a respectable way. I'm tired of these ignorants and dumbasses on the forum.

Ok,ok,ok enough of my rants! :devil:

RallyRaider
05-08-2003, 10:51 PM
Just jump in with both feet and have a go. So what if you screw up, everybody does it. Just learn from your mistakes and improve the next time.

Or you could read the FAQ, and learn from OTHER'S mistakes too!

64 Chevy
05-08-2003, 10:58 PM
You must be prepared to loose a few good kits improving on techiqunes you havent yet mastered.

deedlit
05-09-2003, 01:59 AM
Practising , patience, read modeling books and periodics, ...
Everything that was said.

But, one important thing. If you have a modeling club around your home. SIGN IN. You'll never learn so much than in a club. You have more motivation because you're not alone, you can directly present your work to critics, you can have all the answers to your questions.
I'm president of a club and I can assure that all "juniors" have learned more in one month in our club than in one year alone at home.

Even if the club doesn't do a lot of cars, technics from military and figures modeling can be used for cars.

Deedlit
President of Dynamic Modellers Club

Rtuned
05-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Use your eyes by seeing things that surround you,
Use your ears to listen more ideas, feedback,
Use your brain when problem occur,
Use your hand to pratice more. :D
Btw, get a complete tools you need it, because there wasn't any modelers will lend your their tools. :rolleyes: No modelers like negative feedback, but without these, your skill will not upgrade to another level. :hehe:

appleseed
05-09-2003, 08:40 PM
1) patience
2) invest in the correct supplies!

anything can be accomplished if you have the will and proper supplies/tools for the task!

a.

tonioseven
09-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Build for yourself first; nobody else can see the vision you see in your own head. No matter how :screwy: it may be, it's still yours! :smile:

bobby28384
09-27-2003, 03:48 PM
:hehehe: :hehehe:

i will second everything he says, along with the "take your time" bit and ESPECIALLY the FAQ bit. seems we have alot of n00bs (not pointing fingers) that deem themselves too good to read the FAQ and instead make threads asking questions that could have easily been answered had they taken the time to read the FAQ.

What about those of us n00bs who have read the FAQ but still have questions! You make me want to be afraid to ask! :eek: I know it pisses me off to be a "n00b" but hey! Everyone is one at one point or another! :icon16:

CamaroSSBoy346
09-27-2003, 04:27 PM
how about dont clear coat clear parts.

73superduty
09-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Research, Research, Research. Especially if you are building a "stock" appearing model.
And everything Tonio has mentioned.

Although this doesn't help, I will say that AF has helped my modeling skills 10 fold. Read, watch, learn, do.
Chris

Integra06
09-27-2003, 07:53 PM
That doesn't mean glance over the topics listed in the FAQ, actually read the advice, tips and tricks.

Too many questions are being asked in the forum which are all covered in the FAQ.

Oh, and when you have read the FAQ, read it again to make certain you understand what you are reading.

Then if you still don't understand or just plain can't find what you're looking for, ask about it. If you get told by someone that it was already in the FAQ, and you didn't read the FAQ, be nice about it and just go read it instead of arguing with people. If you ask a stupid question every now and then, oh well, everyone does it, you live and you learn.

EMAXX
09-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Like people have said before, I think that the best thing is actually doing the work. You could read about something all you want, like the great P-Man shine, but it doesn't amount to jack if you can't do it. Practice.

RyanGiorgio
09-27-2003, 10:12 PM
Never Glue your wheels to the wheel wells, Never Glue your wheelsto the wheel wells, never Glue your wheels to the wheel wells!

Um, Tom, haven't I heard of you doing this before? I guess you learned from it. :grinno: :loser: :rofl: :2cents:

Bloodhound
09-28-2003, 06:51 AM
whatever P-man says, follow it to the letter. Seriously. My most recent work looks an easy five fold of my last job.

supramike420
09-28-2003, 08:13 PM
hey i agree with him, just keep practicing, and dont be afraid to try stuff. if u keep buying models and just painting them, u will never get good at mods.

willimo
09-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Just remember that somewhere along the line, even P-man or Flyonthewall made a mistake. Right?

Integra14
09-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Um, Tom, haven't I heard of you doing this before? I guess you learned from it. :grinno: :loser: :rofl: :2cents:

explain, ive done this without problems???

anyways: invest in tools and u'll be happy, ... tamiya products are the way to go, even if they're expensive..

DJ RaYgU
09-29-2003, 11:19 PM

too late... :icon16:

DJ RaYgU
09-29-2003, 11:26 PM
If u dont have time to practice often, like me, a good way to keep urself from rusting is to review the FAQ every now and then. Write down step by step instructions in your own words on a piece of paper and read it and review it often. I finished my ITR like 2 months ago, my next project (hopefully a EVO VI Zerofighter) will be in November.

ShOrtyOC714
09-29-2003, 11:56 PM
The KEY word here is PRACTICE! You know whut they say, practice makes perfect! Doesnt everyone agree? :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!