Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

"Rubbing" out paint

MercCougarXR7
01-29-2003, 02:41 PM
What are your favorite products to "Rub" out paint?

Also, at what stage do you rub out paints?

I'm under the impression that after paint goes on (and it's satisfactory), wait ONE week for that paint to cure, then spray 3-5 clear coats?

How long between each clear coat do I need to wait?

I'm still on that Chevy Impala that I started months ago, trying to get the finish right. It's probably a lost cause, but it's a test bed of sorts. Rather than try all sorts of strange things - I thought to as the EXPERTS here at AF :).

Veyron
01-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Please do a search, it's already been addressed in many, many threads.:)

Jay!
01-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Hey, welcome back, man! :D Look in the FAQ thread... We have all of that stuff crammed in there now... ;)

MercCougarXR7
01-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Haha - sorry for not searching, it was a GREAT suggestion from you guys.

There's ALOT of great info on this site! I've searched the net over trying to find tip+techniques for modeling, and this site is the best.

I've just got back into the hobby, and I know that the biggest room for improvement lies in my bodies. All my cars suck (IMHO). Other people think they're great, but I know better.

So, I bought a set of high grit polishing sandpaper cloths (2400-12000), and practiced on some old kits today. Results varied, but the one thing consistent was very fine circle marks (like on both my black 1:1 cars).

I figure a 100% cloth and TurtleWax's Rubbing Compound (and heavy duty cleaner) would take care of that - but nope. It didn't.

Anyways - thanks for the welcome 'back' Jay - missed you too buddy ;). I've pretty much always been a lurker - but never have much time to post much.

Keep up the good work boys - your kits are looking great!

Best,

Kevin.

Add your comment to this topic!