Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alfa Romeo Sportwagon

Stefanel1
01-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Isn't this car beautiful ? What do you think about it ? :smoker2:

tigermiata
01-27-2003, 02:39 PM
OK, but too many doors.

Sportwagons should be two-doors, like the Volvo 1800EA, the Reliant Scimitar GTE or Lancia Beta HPE.

Stefanel1
01-28-2003, 05:28 PM
it's a station wagon in reality. They couldn't do a 3 doors... But the rear doors are "hidden".
And you're right the Volvo and the Lancia are nice... Though I don't like very much the Reliant.

tigermiata
01-29-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Stefanel1
They couldn't do a 3 doors...

:confused: Why not? Lots of companies have in the past; the aforementioned, plus the 1971-75 Opel Ascona, 1981-1984 Toyota Corolla, Ford Pinto and Chevrolet Vega -- and many, many more.

Now, they might not want to -- that's different. Probably because (A) they don't perceive a market for them, and/or (B) they want as many pressings in common with a production sedan as possible to keep costs down, and AFAIK this Alfa could be based on a four-door sedan.

YMMV, but for me, I cannot reconcile "sport" with rear doors.

Stefanel1
01-29-2003, 08:38 AM
That's what I meant by they "couldn't". You're righht, there is not market for this and it would cost too much.

Chris
01-29-2003, 10:54 AM
I find this car to be very well styled. Who said wagons need not be good looking?

Of course, we cannot get it in North America. But wagons are making a comeback, theres even a 3 series wagon in town (I live in hickville, remember)

Stefanel1
01-29-2003, 11:05 AM
Indeed the 3 Series SW is very nice. But the problem with all these SW is that if they are very nice as the Alfa, BMW, Saab etc., there is not enough room compared with an E Class, or an XM for example.

crayzayjay
02-02-2003, 12:36 PM
The Sportwagon's great, but why is it in the "other cars" forum? :D

actually that gives me a good idea for a car comparison... :D

Stefanel1
02-02-2003, 03:42 PM
if it gives you a good idea, that's a good thing that this Alfa is posted here ;) :D

crayzayjay
02-02-2003, 03:45 PM
Do you mean because the Alfa forum does not get enough visitors?

Stefanel1
02-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Alas, there are indeed not enough visitors on this section. But we're on an American forum and this fabulous make isn't sold any more there. So they don't really care (not all of course and hopefully), but that's a pity.

crayzayjay
02-02-2003, 05:06 PM
You're right, its shambolic that some people dont know about Alfa Romeo, Lancia, and other European marques... but the only way to make them more aware is to post in their particular forums so they become more and more busy!

nice new pic in your sig btw... :D

Stefanel1
02-02-2003, 05:24 PM
indeed, you're perfectly right.

Thanks for the signature, and I've too a Lancia.... badge ;)

Jimster
02-10-2003, 02:01 AM
Alfa Romeo Sportwagon is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! 3 doors no way- the Scimitar, Vega, Corolla Sportwagon and Pinto were all drastic failiures.

Definitley a world-beater.

I'm shifting it to the Alfa Romeo forum- with a divert in Other Cars :D

Stefanel1
02-10-2003, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the shift ;)
This is indeed surely the most beautiful SW today.
Have you received your 156 Jim ?

Hudson
02-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Jimster
Alfa Romeo Sportwagon is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! 3 doors no way- the Scimitar, Vega, Corolla Sportwagon and Pinto were all drastic failiures.

Definitley a world-beater.

I'm shifting it to the Alfa Romeo forum- with a divert in Other Cars :D

Actually, none of them were "drastic failures" at all. The Pinto and Vega, for example were in production for about a decade each. I believe the Corolla was in production for much longer.

Two-door wagons go back a long way and had their own niche. There's nothing wrong with a 2-door as long as its assumed it will not sell in huge numbers. Four-door wagons are just more convenient.

Genesis3
02-10-2003, 08:22 PM
its very nice I like the shape

Jimster
02-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Stefanel1
Thanks for the shift ;)
This is indeed surely the most beautiful SW today.
Have you received your 156 Jim ?

yes indeedy- I'll link you to a pic once I get the time to surf for old threads :D

Hudson: Maybe sales were allright- but no viechles except the Corolla had anything near decent reliability, the Pinto was prone to explosion on rear-end collision and the Scimitars were known to catch fire while you slept (The Electrics were that bad) In todays post-3dr wagon society- nobody would want to purchase one- simply because the nightmares that models previous gave.

The M Coupe is a perfect example of when 3 door-wagons fail

Hudson
02-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Cars of the 1970s had bad reliability...2 door wagon or not. Reliability was not the problem with the 2-door wagon concept.

the M Coupe isn't a 2-door wagon, it's a hatchback. And how was it a failure? They never meant to build a lot of them....they were always intended to be rare.

Jimster
02-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Hudson
Cars of the 1970s had bad reliability...2 door wagon or not. Reliability was not the problem with the 2-door wagon concept.

the M Coupe isn't a 2-door wagon, it's a hatchback. And how was it a failure? They never meant to build a lot of them....they were always intended to be rare.

and that showed- because nobody even bought them :rolleyes: BMW of Genoa have knocked the prcie of the M Coupe down to the price of a Z4 3.0 just to get rid of the damn things- and The M Coupe will always a two door wagon to me- it looked like a bread van- and was only saved by the fact that it certainly didn't drive like one- I even see hints of the Scimitar in there .

But in all honesty- Why woujld anyone want a 2 door wagon? Wagons were made to be practical and are in no wayt seen as cool (That sports wagons try to be) The Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon conveys practicality (Even though the loadspace isn't all that great)

Add your comment to this topic!