Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting with Duplicolor

Diesel2NR
01-27-2003, 06:24 AM
I'm wondering what procedure you all use for painting with Duplicolor Lacquers. I'm looking for what primers you use, how many color coats, your prefered clearcoat, and any tips you can provide for it. Thanks in advance.

Fooesboy
01-27-2003, 06:32 AM
Hi,

Painting with Lacqure requires very special handeling so that you don't endup with a blob of melted plastic!

The method I use, and find it VERY good, I found on the web:
(There is no way I could explane this technique better)

www.modelersite.com

Look under Archive, then Techniques.

There are 3 articles on painting:

"How to paint with lacquers"

"Painting, the key to plastic modeling?"

"Painting, One more technique"

Sorry that I can't post a direct link, I just don't know how!!!

Good luck, and please keep us all updated on your progress!

Hawk312
01-27-2003, 08:16 AM
I use duplicolor laquer whenever possible. I use Plasti-kote primer, two or 3 coats, of either white or gray primer depending on wether the color coats will be light or dark. I usually wait for the primer to dry for atleast an hour before sanding and spraying the duplicolor color. Yes, I use a spray can every time, and I don`t see how an airbrush could possibly benefit anyone if they have your color in a spray. I have had many models with decent finishes, and never used an airbrush on one of them. All mine in the gallery were done with cans. I usually spray enough color coats for complete coverage if it is a metallic color, and several more extra coats if it is a solid for wetsanding. I wetsand with 2000 grit always. I wait atleast an hour before applying duplicolor clear coat. Get the Truck, Van, and SUV clear as it is the same stuff as the auto paint, and is only $3.99 (here anyway) for an 11oz. can. I usually apply atleast 5 coats, about 20 minutes between each one. I never use clear on white as it usually yellows over time if not immediately. The longer you wait for it to dry, the better it will "rub out". For that part, you can just follow the instructions in our FAQ. Good luck!:frog: :silly2:

daggerlee
01-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Tip, I've never gotten a good finish by spraying wet coats on the body, I think it's better to get it so that the paint looks like it's been splattered across the body. The duplicolor stuff is extremely thin, if you spray it on too thick it won't dry evenly (on a curved surface like the roof of a car, you'll get lots of paint on the sides and a thin covering on the middle). Hope th is helps

Diesel2NR
01-27-2003, 04:29 PM
As far as using the primer goes, can you spray duplicolor white primer on as you would with enamels or acrylics without harming the plastic, or is it best to use very light dust coats of it? What about with Plasticoat primer? That should be all the info I need before trying this out. Thanks for your help.

daggerlee
01-27-2003, 05:18 PM
The primers aren't as harmful as the paints themselves. I usually mist my first two coats, then go for a nice "covering" coat on my third pass, then one final coat for good measure. Better safe than sorry.

Diesel2NR
01-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks a lot. I think I'll try using duplicolor as soon as I finish my spray booth. Do you know if you can use the black base included in the mirage kits by duplicolor on the bare plastic? I might prime under it just in case.:confused:

Add your comment to this topic!