Page updated on 12-11-2017

DIY Photoetched Mesh


Focus2000
01-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Just been shopping and happened across the following object in the household/cooking section.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/186856DSCF0763.JPG

:confused: What is it? It's a 29cm saucepan cover to stop food spitting and also acts like a sieve. What's it good for? Well, it'll make some pretty good grill-mesh for my models. The scale might not be 100%, but it's a lot better than the cloth you get in Tamiya kits and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the stuff from model suppliers. Take a look...

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/849995DSCF0764.JPG

Keep your eyes open for some next time you're shopping :D

bigfrit
01-26-2003, 08:01 AM
You should see the look on my mother's face when I just told her I wanted a saucepan for my birthday!

ciao
Oli;)

tazdev
01-26-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by bigfrit
You should see the look on my mother's face when I just told her I wanted a saucepan for my birthday!

ciao
Oli;)

ROFLMFAO

that is just too funny I fell off my chair:hehe: :hehehe:

ultraxduce
01-26-2003, 05:33 PM
i saw a coupe of those at the dollar store.

but i think its going to be a bitch to cut without messing it up.

wouldn't a window mesh, (bug screen) work better? easiet to cut.. and pretty cheap. sold by the foot?

64 Chevy
01-26-2003, 06:49 PM
good idea, have you tried cutting it out and actualy working with it? looks like it could be difficult.

Focus2000
01-27-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by 64 Chevy
good idea, have you tried cutting it out and actualy working with it? looks like it could be difficult.

True, it's not the easiest material to work with. You just need a pair of sharp pliers and a bit of patience to go slowly, making sure you don't bend the mesh while cutting it.

bigfrit
01-27-2003, 04:09 AM
Just a question now; could it be used to spray -let's say gold- through it on a black surface to simulate carbon-fiber, or do you reckon it's to big ?

Ciao Olivier

Focus2000
01-27-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by bigfrit
Just a question now; could it be used to spray -let's say gold- through it on a black surface to simulate carbon-fiber, or do you reckon it's to big ?

Ciao Olivier

Hmm, I don't know. I'll gve it a try but I suspect that the holes will be too big for it to look right. One advantage of this mesh is it can be bent into curved shapes so it would be good for CF-ing curved surfaces, but possibly best at 1/20 and 1/12.

bigfrit
01-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Ok, thanks!

oli

Add your comment to this topic!