Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PE Advice

God|Zilla168
01-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Just wanted to ask if I should clear coat the body before applying some photo etched parts or apply it then clear coat. these parts goes on the exterior of the body that is why I am asking

Murco
01-16-2003, 12:40 AM
There are two schools of thought here, you can go either way. If you apply the PE and then clearcoat, the PE will polish just like the paint as you rub it out. The PE will also be alot better attached to the model but it can create "hills" in the clearcoat surrrounding the PE.
I prefer to buff the final topcoats (I never clear coat) and then attach the PE. I also polish my PE and nickel-chrome them if they are badges. Polishing your PE alone will make a huge difference!!

God|Zilla168
01-16-2003, 06:21 AM
Thanks

COZMO6476
01-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Murco
I also polish my PE and nickel-chrome them if they are badges. Polishing your PE alone will make a huge difference!!

How do you polish PE and how do you "nickel Chrome" them? Never heard of that.

Murco
01-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by COZMO6476

How do you polish PE and how do you "nickel Chrome" them? Never heard of that.
Every Dremel set comes with round 1/2" felt buffers, I use them with metal polish to polish photo-etch. Model Car Garage PE absolutley gleams with polishing as it's nickel instead of stainless steel.
The "chrome" is actually nickel silver I apply using a chemical electrolisis kit I got years ago. It makes the PE glow with that bluish tint of real chrome and doesn't tarnish. If you want it to pop-out at you this is what you need to do....
I'll cover this stuff next month with a photo-how-to in the "Ultimate Camaro" project...

Add your comment to this topic!