Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

White Tamiya Paint

Thor302
01-14-2003, 02:45 PM
i bought a can of tamiya white #ts-7 and i also bought a can of tamiya black, anyway the black is great i used it on my truck body and i was amazed at the shine an reflection i got, but i used the white on my integras engine bay and rear bumber and i was all running and didnt stick to corners or non flat areas if you know what i mean, does anyone know what the problems is? they were both kept in the same temp and both were used with out primer i even tryed a second coat of white and same thing, its like it has too much tinner in it! any ideas????

TheSyndicate
01-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Gotta use primer to get paint to stick.

Veyron
01-14-2003, 02:51 PM
What color plastic were you putting the white on, and did you wash the plastic before you painted it?:)

ales
01-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Apart for the obvious (use the friggin' primer, why don't you? :mad: ), you probably sprayed too thick coats and/or the distance was too close. And white is quite a hard colour to get right anyway.

HTH

freakray
01-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Read the FAQ?

No 1 - Primer
No 2 - Primer
No 3 - Primer

See where I am going? Got to use primer like Syndicate said.
Were you spraying it on too thick? You gotta do some light coats before you spray a wet coat, this will build the paint up on the surface.
Did you wash the model with detergent before spraying? Not washing it could mean there is mold release still on the plastic so the paint won't stick....

Ray

ZoomZoomMX-5
01-14-2003, 03:02 PM
My ITR was painted w/Tamiya white, and it went on perfectly. Use primer first, don't lay down too much of the gloss white at one time. White doesn't cover as easily as black (even over white plastic), and sometimes it's tempting to really lay it on in thick coats...you have to spray it on in light coats, only after painting several coats can you really lay the paint on thick.

I can tell almost immediately by "feel" and how the paint looks how close to spray, how heavy to spray, etc. This takes practice. Next time, slow down the process and it should work out much better.

Asmenoth
01-14-2003, 03:35 PM
OK, you don't have to spray primer, even though everyone will scream that you do(hell, I will probably get yelled at for this :) ). Primer helps paint to adhear to plastic alot. In my experience, primer is absolutly needed for metal and resin...not plastic. The only paint I've used that doesn't stick well, or at all, to un-primered plastic is Games Workshop water based paints.

Now, not washing the part being sprayed does not help when trying to get paint to stick to plastic. I use primer when painting a car a different color from the color the plastic is molded in, when adding metal/resin detail parts, kitbashing other car kits to combine their parts on a different kit, or if I have to do extensive body work (you spray it on an area that you just sanded and it makes it easier to see imperfections that you may miss and then it also provides one color to cover instead of the different colors of the plastic, filler putties and other things).

freakray
01-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Hmmm....lessee, listen to another noob, or listen to the 5 people that posted before him, and are all above level4, telling you to spray primer under white paint?

You may get away with no primer under various colors of paint, but white is NOT one of those colors......you need to prime.

If you don't want to listen to me, listen to Zoom-Zoom, Ales, Veyron and the Syndicate, I know they all know what they are talking about.

And if you don't want to listen to them, go and read the FAQ at the top of page 1 of car modelling and see what that says.

Ray

primera man
01-14-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Asmenoth
OK, you don't have to spray primer, even though everyone will scream that you do(hell, I will probably get yelled at for this :) ).

I JUST GOT TO BREAK THIS OUT !!:finger:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=65600

Cobra_Daytona
01-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Even with primer, that color is very hard to use. It's extremely thin, and takes multiple thin coats to sticks to high curve areas. Just keep applying the coats and sooner or later you'll get one that actually covers all of the curves, and has a great shine to it.

djmr2
01-14-2003, 06:13 PM
it's the nature of paint to slide off edges, even if u did use primer, the edges will always be thin and if it's a dark color under the white, it'll look even more like it's not covering since white is pretty transparent.

it's NOT NECESSARY to primer, but it does help for paint to stick to smooth surfaces. Primer also fills in scratches and such. Those guys make it sound like it's a law of the universe that u need to use primer, but u don't.

even primer will be thin around the edges.

Thor302
01-14-2003, 06:13 PM
ok thanks for the help!!

Asmenoth
01-15-2003, 01:06 AM
Hmmm....lessee, listen to another noob, or listen to the 5 people that posted before him, and are all above level4, telling you to spray primer under white paint?

Noob....noob...interesting limited vocabulary. I expected this, I knew the responses would be less than complementry, but noob? I have been building models for about 26 years now and all I suggest is that you don't need to primer a model. A guy posts that he went through 2 1/2 f*ckin CANS of paint and still can't get it right and asks for help, any noob comments...no, any silliness about being level4 or higher:rolleyes: ...no (though I did like the virtual bitch slap from Primera Man :D ). Sigh....if you wish, I can respond to every single post on this forum and become a modeling god over night like most on here. Or I can continue to post the occasional paragraph in response to questions and remain a lowly noob.

But oh well, the anonimity of the computer message forum gives people more testicualr fortitude than they really have, makes them legends in their own hard drives, make it seem as if they have gotten laid by someone other than Sally and her five sisters, and makes them a god of what ever topic they are speaking of by the number of posts they make.

At least I get some useful info off this forum....and entertainment as well. :D :D :finger:

Fooesboy
01-15-2003, 02:48 AM
More advise from another "Noob" :flash:

Try using flat white first, it covers better than gloss and will dry faster, then to get the gloss, use a gloss clear or 1 coat of gloss white. (or use the Tamiya super fine white primer then one coat of gloss white)

And I agree with Asmenoth, you don't NEED primer all the time, but it is a good idea to use it, and primer is a must (for me) on large areas i.e. body or if you will use a automotive lacquer.

I wash all the parts in hot soapy water, and leave them to soak for about 15 mins, then rinse well and dry off the beads of water (or you get nasty white spots from the minerals, I live in the country and the water is very hard.......... please no country hick jokes :D ) then leave the parts to dry in a dust free place...... I heard that the microwave is a good place, just don't turn it on!!!!

Good luck!

Jay!
01-15-2003, 02:59 AM
The general consensus of the modelers on this forum is that primer is like painting insurance. You can not use primer, but you do so at your own risk. And if you don't, we all reserve the right to say 'I told you so' when something goes wrong. ;)

That may or may not be the case in this instance. It sounds to me, very simply, that the first coat was just too heavy. You have to lay down 1 - 3 mist coat of paint before trying to lay down a 'wet' coat.

tazdev
01-15-2003, 03:10 AM
white is not a very forgiveing color so it pays to spay in even lighter coats than you normally would. Just slowly build up the color until it is nice and thick and even

Focus2000
01-15-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by jay@af
The general consensus of the modelers on this forum is that primer is like painting insurance. You can not use primer, but you do so at your own risk. And if you don't, we all reserve the right to say 'I told you so' when something goes wrong. ;)

:ylsuper

I'd have to agree with Jay. The first few models I did were done without primer and results were poor to adequate. Since I started using primer I've found the paint goes on much more easily. Also, because you have to sand the primer you can be sure that you're starting with a smooth surface, free of casting imperfections.

Seeing as this attempt without primer hasn't gone too well, why don't you try it again with primer and see if there's a difference? To get better we need to learn from our mistakes, so this is a perfect opportunity. Let us know how you get on!

Oh, and make sure you start with a few mist coats first ;)

Add your comment to this topic!