Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Revell - front & rear panels.

Bobj
01-14-2003, 04:08 AM
Just wondering how other modellers deal with these, I am thinking of starting one of my revell kits but am not sure about attaching these parts. ie, attach before spraying body or after, i think i would find it easier before due to the fitment. I'am assuming that i would need to glue the part then putty around the edges then sand and paint, anyway let me know how you guys do this so i dont stuff mine up. Regards Bob.:confused: :cool:

flyonthewall
01-14-2003, 04:27 AM
Its usually best to attach those parts prior to painting for the reasons you have pointed out above. Even paint coverage is another reason too.

Jonno
01-14-2003, 05:29 AM
I usually attach all parts that are going to be painted the body colour before painting, except the rear view mirrors, in some cases, because they sometimes get in the way of the window trim.

ZoomZoomMX-5
01-14-2003, 08:08 AM
It depends on the final assembly-you don't want pans glued in place and the whole body painted, only to find the chassis doesn't fit during final assembly.

Unless the pan/bumper is a flush-fit with no panel lines and I have test-fit the chassis to make sure it will assemble later, I leave them separate. I attach them to the model using tape (cutting masking tape strips that won't interfere w/the paint in any way) when I paint the body, so that the colors/finish are the same as the surrounding area.

On cars w/a separate hood and the area under the hood is body color, I paint the underhood area first and let it dry. Then when I paint the body, I attach the hood just above where it sits when closed (using fun tack, a sticky removable material), when I paint the body, so that the color matches. When painting mirrors/spoilers, I roughly count the number of passes I've made w/the paint, so that their colors will match as well.

daggerlee
01-14-2003, 03:22 PM
If you're going to glue the pieces to the body beforehand, make sure to use a very strong adhesive, or it may come off during polishing and mar that beautiful paint finish.

Bobj
01-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks for ya help guys, I'll do some test fitting and see how i go.:cool:

Add your comment to this topic!